Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Skulk Hollow - Board Game Review!

 

Board games are always a great way to spend one on one time together bonding, competing, talking & laughing while having a great time. I was recently gifted a copy of the board game Skulk Hollow from Pencil First Games, they were also nice enough to include the Ancient Relics mini-expansion kit that offers additional cards for your game. If you've been a fan of my blog for a while this might seem like a familiar company as I did a review of their game Heroes Welcome a while back which is still a favorite of ours that we play quite often. 


Skulk Hollow is a two player game which is fantastic for the nights when just two of us want to play a game or if we want to do a tournament style run with the game. Our kids stayed the night at their grandparents house the Friday night after we received this game, so it gave my husband and I a chance to learn the rules & play a game by ourselves. The rules are very straight forward, easy to understand & easy to execute once in play. We didn't spend that long reading the rules before we were able to play, it is always nice when games offer you a engaging & rewarding game without overly complex or complicated rules. The recommended age is 12+ however our nine-year-old has no issue playing this game. 

How to play? The set-up is simple, each player will play as a different race of creatures - you will either be a Guardian or a member of the Foxen clan. I wouldn't really say either is the "evil" character as they each have their own reason for why they are fighting the other. The Guardians are massive creatures that are almost like gods who created the lands, once they created those lands they went into slumber. The Foxen are a clan that came to be & live in those lands created by the guardians. The Guardians are now awake once more, they are so massive that as they walk they literally destroy whole cities under their feet. So the foxen are racing to stop the guardians while the guardians are set on walking their paths to wherever they are headed. 

Each Guardian has special abilities & items that need to be set up on the board specifically for them, and each Foxen have their own special abilities as well. Once you reach the goal for which ever species you decide to play as then you will win the game. I really like this game, it has a great intro story, the game pieces are fantastic & the game is fun to play.  The Guardians each have their own card box which fits not only the playing cards you will need, but the wooden tokens that represent them as well. All of the boxes fit so nicely into the game box & the bottom of the plastic dividers show you where each box goes. I have to say though that so far, I kind of suck at playing this hahaha my husband kicked my butt both of the times we played together. I just need a little practice & to pick my cards better next time then I think I will have a better chance at winning a round of the game. When my son played a round against my husband, he did a lot better than I did. This will definitely be one of our new favorites go to games when we want to play a board game. 

Does this look like a game you would be interested in playing? Who do you think you'd want to play as; one of the giant guardians or one of the cute little Foxen?

Disclaimer-  Pencil First Games provided the products mentioned above for the review  free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchasing the product.

23 comments:

Beth said...

This looks like such a fun game! I think my family would love it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Two person games are good for us, it’s just me and my husband. Any other 2 person game recommendations?

rhian westbury said...

We love a good board game in our home, but we definitely don't play them enough. I like the sound of this one as being an easy one to pick up x

alita said...

Board games are a great way to spend quality time with family, especially on holidays! Love this one too.

Motherhood: The Real Deal said...

I love a board game, especially on a Sunday afternoon. This looks like a really cool concept - something a bit different!

Ntensibe Edgar said...

Aaahhhh...I think I would enjoy playing this game....but as the cute little foxen!

Nyxie said...

This looks like so much fun! I also highly recommend Happy Little Dinosaurs which is something similar.

Neely said...

Seems like a really interesting game! I bet my son would love it!

Paula Richie said...

Glad you found a new favorites go to when you want to play a board game.

~Paula Richie

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. I guess I'll get one too for my family. It is such a great way to bond.

Sandra D. said...

Looks like a great game.

Gina Ferrell said...

I would play as a Guardian in this game.

Clarice said...

This looks interesting. We are huge board game fans and would love to try this. Happy to know that the rules are straightforward and easy to understand. Thank you for sharing this review. Will check it out.

Yeah Lifestyle said...

Sounds like an interesting game and one I would love to play. Also love that it is only a 2 player game

Fransic Verso said...

This is amazing, it's been a while not play board games before. Soo, I would love to play them again.

Marysa said...

This looks really fun, and I love the name of it too! It is nice to have some good, engaging games.

Edye Nicole said...

looks so fun!

mia2009(at)comcast(dot)net

Christina Ferguson said...

Excellent review. Totally understood the gist of the game. I would like to be one of the giant guardians.

Nish said...

I love board games! This one sounds like so much fun!

J Renee W said...

I love hearing about these new and interesting games.

Heather Swanson said...

My grandson would love this for Christmas

Maryann D. said...

Skulk Hollow from Pencil First Games does seem like a cool and fun game for my family.
twinkle at optonline dot net

Antoinette M said...

This sounds like a game my family would enjoy playing. I'd like to be a giant guardian!