Wednesday, November 9, 2022

My Father's Work - Board game Review!

We recently received a copy of the new game My Father's Work by Renegade Game Studios. This game is hands down the biggest game we own, when the package arrived containing My Father's Work it felt like there was more than one board game within it, I was surprised when I opened it to find this beast of a game. The game is heavy & packed full of all kinds of goodies to go along with your game, everything has its own place and sits just right in the box. It is very annoying when you buy a game & go to stick everything back in the box just to find it won't go back just right so the box bulges a little, that isn't the case with this game & if you forget how to put everything away they have a little map that shows you where to place everything. Looking at all of the game pieces we were pretty excited to get started playing this, we love games that have awesome components that are not only fun to play with but look at as well. This game can be purchased on the Renegade Game Studios website for $125.

My Father's Work is a Victorian mad scientist game where you'll create potions & experiments, it is for ages 14+ and designed for two to four players. The game is played over the course of "Three generations", where players will collect ingredients they need, do research and upgrade their estates. The downside? At the end of each generation players will lose all but two of their experiments and all resources/money. It is a bit of a win some lose some situation, you will lose out on those resources however if you have creeped out the town or have an angry mob coming after you then that is reset as well & you start off fresh. There are three scenarios in this box, each one has their own game pieces that will be used only during that scenario and there is an interactive app that goes with the game as well to be used during game play.  

While the game does have a lot of awesome components the rule book is quite extensive and can take a little bit of time to get through. As with most games, playing a slow first game so everyone can get used to the rules is the perfect way to help everyone understand how the game works. Each of the generations consist of three rounds "Early Years", "Middle Years" & "End Years" where each round you will complete a number of tasks to help you achieve your goals of completing experiments which then add points to your game total. The player mats they provide (seen below) are well organized with everything set up to help you know exactly where you are in the game and what you've collected along the way. The towns the stories take place in will also change with the scenario book so each game is unique.  

All of the mini figures for each player are the same set of characters, and they make it easier to tell which figure belongs to each player due to the different colored bases you'll attach to your set. If you couldn't tell by my excitement & several mentions of it already, my favorite part of this game set is hands down the game pieces. Everything is extremely well made, the coins & metal gears are actual metal with a little bit of weight to them, the potion bottles are glass with cork stoppers and the other materials are appealing to the eyes as well. 

Normally I would include more information on how the game is played, however due to the amount of tasks and information there is to this game I don't want you to feel overwhelmed by reading my babble. This is a great game for those who want an interactive game that is entertaining to play, takes up some time and has a well put together theme. If you need to pause your game the app will allow you to pause as needed, the game book recommends waiting until you start a new round before pausing to make it easier to pick back up when you are ready. 

Renegade game studio has a wide range of games including a large selection of games that cost $25 or less, so if you are looking for a new board game to play or have a board game lover on your holiday shopping list, I highly suggest checking out what they have to offer. 

What is your favorite feature of this game? 

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Renegade Game Studios for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase

34 comments:

Deanna L said...

This looks so awesome! I can't wait to check it out more

Beth said...

I love games like this. We play Betrayal at House on the Hill a lot, and this has that same sort of involved vibe, which I love.

Fleek said...

This game looks really good, and it's quite big too, with lots of fun stuff in it. Love it.

Kelly said...

Wow this game looks soo good! It is pretty huge too.

Laura said...

All the bits and pieces are what make it appeal to me and I would think you wouldnt get bored then?

Anonymous said...

Looks like an awesome game. Glad I came across this article as I am often on the lookout for new board games! Stephanie

Samantha Donnelly said...

This looks like a completely different type of game to those I usually play but does look fun

Chad said...

This seems an awesome family game, I love board games, they're so much fun especially during holidays...

Tammy said...

Reminds me of Risk...looks like a lot of fun! I loved tabletop games as a kid and wish more people played them.

Ntensibe Edgar said...

Wow...it is quite the game. It has so many parts to it that I do not have a favourite, at the moment.

Lora Frost said...

I love games -- this one looks so fun!

I am curious though, how many hours does one round take with 4 people?

Can't wait to check it out.

Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place said...

This looks like a cool board game. Definitely a great way to entertain the young teens.

alita said...

This board game looks so much fun. I love the mini-figures for each player.

Brianne said...

The addition of the narrative to the game likely makes it worth the time invested in the game. I would love to try this.

mail4rosey said...

They're sure are cool looking pieces for the game. We are a gaming family here.

Marysa said...

This looks like a neat game. It is nice to see such an interesting game, and I like getting my kids off their devices and interacting as a family.

Fransic Verso said...

This is so a cool game, I know my brother would love to have this because just got a similar one, not a while ag.

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks great! As board games lovers, I am sure my family would certainly enjoy playing this game 😍.

Everything Enchanting ❤️

Khushboo said...

This looks like an amazing game. I will have to see whether we get this game here in our place.

Anonymous said...

This looks intense! Not sure if my crew is quite up for this challenge!

Star Traci said...

I am loving the Victorian feel to this game, and with all the glass jars and the mad scientist element, it seems like your in your own version of Frankenstein. Very cool. I think my family would like this.

Sandra D. said...

Wow so many amazing pieces to this game.

Neely said...

Sounds like a really cool game! We love to play games!

khoingn | The Broad Life said...

Wow, this one looks really nice! I would like to play this game. It's hard to find one here in my place.

Blair Villanueva said...

This looks like an awesome board game. My teenagers will definitely enjoy this new adventure. Good to include in my long Christmas list.

Christianforemost.com said...

Aww, I wish I had friends to play board games with. This one looks so complicated but super fun!

kywave said...

Looks intriguing, involved and well thought out

Gina Ferrell said...

Looks and sounds interesting and fun to play!

Angela Ricardo said...

That sounds like a great board game to play with the family and I'm sure the boys will love this.

Maryann D. said...

My Father's Work by Renegade Game Studios does sound like an interesting game. There are a lot of items with this game for sure!
twinkle at optonline dot net

olwen29 said...

Looks good!

Antoinette M said...

Sounds like an entertaining game!

J Renee W said...

This is the first game I've heard of that has you creating potions and doing experiments, sounds like fun!

Christina Ferguson said...

You had me at "or have an angry mob coming after you". This is the perfect game to play on a snowy, winter weekend.