Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Malamander & Gargantis A Monster Book Reivew With Walker Books!


My children are always so excited when we open the front door to see a package marked from Walker Books U.S (A division of Candlewick Press) because it means we have new books to read! I love that my children enjoy reading, we have tons of books but we are always happy to check out new books we haven't read or seen before. We were recently sent two advanced copies of books coming out within the year and my daughter highly enjoyed reading them.


Both books are from the same series by Thomas Taylor and they are packed full of adventure, magic and monsters. Sometimes when my daughter isn't really enjoying a book I can tell because of how slow she reads it, and that wasn't the case with this set of books, she read through them pretty quickly. When I get the chance I plan on reading them myself because the covers and the summary of the book intrigue me. The series this book is from is called The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea.


The first book in the series is called Malamander and the hardcovered version was released 09/2019 for $16.99 with the paperback copy coming out in 04/2020. Here is a summary of the book:

"It’s winter in the town of Eerie-on-Sea, where the mist is thick and the salt spray is rattling the windows of the Grand Nautilus Hotel. Inside, young Herbert Lemon, Lost and Founder for the hotel, has an unexpected visitor. It seems that Violet Parma, a fearless girl around his age, lost her parents at the hotel when she was a baby, and she’s sure that the nervous Herbert is the only person who can help her find them. The trouble is, Violet is being pursued at that moment by a strange hook-handed man. And the town legend of the Malamander — a part-fish, part-human monster whose egg is said to make dreams come true — is rearing its scaly head. As various townspeople, some good-hearted, some nefarious, reveal themselves to be monster hunters on the sly, can Herbert and Violet elude them and discover what happened to Violet’s kin? This lighthearted, fantastical mystery, featuring black-and-white spot illustrations, kicks off a trilogy of fantasies set in the seaside town. "

My daughter enjoyed the main characters and their adventure through out the book, she also enjoyed the creatures that were introduced and was happy she had the second book as well so she didn't have to wait to read it. The cover art is beautiful, the few photos we had in the book were a lot of fun as well and tied in perfectly with the book. (our copy wasn't completely finished illustration wise due to it being an advanced copy.)


The second book in the series is called Gargantis which will be released in May of 2020. Here is a summary of the book: 

"There's a storm brewing over Eerie-on-Sea, and the fisherfolk say a monster is the cause. Someone has woken the ancient Gargantis, who sleeps in the watery caves beneath this spooky seaside town where legends have a habit of coming to life. It seems the Gargantis is looking for something: a treasure stolen from her underwater lair. And it just might be in the Lost-and-Foundery at the Grand Nautilus Hotel, in the care of one Herbert Lemon, Lost-and-Founder. With the help of the daring Violet Parma, ever-reliable Herbie will do his best to figure out what the Gargantis wants and who stole her treasure in the first place. In a town full of suspicious, secretive characters, it could be anyone!"

My daughter said this was a great follow up book to the second one that continues the characters grand advantures from the first book, introducing new creatures and fun scenes to delight the reader. The writter has done a great job writting a book that will make you want to keep reading to find out what happens next. Both books are reccomended for ages eight to twelve, but that doesn't limit anyone older from reading it, as mentioned I plan on reading it myself because it sounds like a good fantasty based book (Which are my favorite). I highly suggest checking out both books for yourself or for your loved one if they are a big fan of mystery, magic, myths and monsters! 

What are your thoughts on these books based off the summary, and what is another Fantasty based book you enjoy?

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Candlewick Press / Walker Books U.S for the Review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

29 comments:

Buyingstylewithmeg said...

Looks like a fun book for young readers. My kids love to read too..my son is totally in to Harry Potter.

Cyndi Buchanan said...

I could see my daughter getting into this book. She loves fantasies.

Lorita said...

great books for kids! I need to get one for my nephew

Joanna said...

The plot definitely sounds mysterious and full of fantasy, something that children love to read. It's a book that boosts their imagination.

Trent A Peek said...

Looks like a enjoyable read for young readers. I might have to purchase this book for my nephew.

Fransic Verso said...

Awesome books and such a good habit to let kids to read book. I will recommend this to my mom to try and let my little brother to read it.

weaving life's web said...

Look like awesome books. I will check them out. thanks for the reccomendation!

brandi said...

Awesome books for children! I have some for my nephew

Our Redonkulous Life said...

My step-daughter would love this type of book. I will definitely have to check it out.

Ashli Ferguson said...

This series sounds awesome! like something I would have read as a kid!

magen said...

My oldest is always on the hunt for new books to read. She LOVES the R.L Stein books so I'll have to tell her about these. I'm sure she would love them too.

Julie said...

My kiddos aren't old enough for these books, but they look awesome!! I almost want to check them out just to read it to them. They might enjoy the stories anyway.

Crickette, The Things I Have to Say said...

You know, I love YA. Hihi. I devoured Both Percy Jackson series like a tween, and I was 30 years old at that time. Growing up, I loved reading fantasy books and I still do now, in between the other things I'm trying to tackle.

Mike A. said...

My kids aren't big on fantasy books. They do enjoy the Harry Potter series, however.

aisasami said...

These look like interesting books for kids. What age are these books intended for?

Neil Alvin Nicerio said...

First time to hear of this. I want to read it as well.

Amelia Pollock said...

My nephew love these books. They are awesome.

Constance said...

I bought this for my 10-year-old niece for Christmas. She finished it that day! Loved it.

John Smith said...

Both books sound exciting and just the right amount of scary!

eya_greyjoy said...

These books look awesome and sounds very interesting basing on the titles alone

tat2gurlzrock said...

This sounds like a great book! I would read it myself!

Nancy P said...

Fantastic covers!

Lisa said...

These look so fun, the covers are stunning!

wendy Hutton said...

sounds like wonderful books for kids

elizabeth miller said...

Those eyeballs on the front are so cool. The covers are definitly attractive to kids.

Chaylin Crawford said...

These books look really cool. They remind me of the RL Stine books I used to read as a child.

Maryann D. said...

Malamander & Gargantis A Monster Books sounds so wonderful and interesting. My nephew would enjoy them.
twinkle at optonline dot net

kewlshopper said...

The grand kids may like these books very much.

Wanda B said...

What a fun book. I love adventure, magic and monsters.