Monday, January 27, 2020

Learn new projects with the Sew What Box!

I am able to stitch by hand but I have always wanted to learn how to use a sewing machine so I can sew faster. My daughter has also recently shown an interest in learning how to sew and we decided we will try to learn together. When I came across the "Sew What Box" it  was the perfect match for us. What is the Sew What Box? It is a monthly subscription box that sends you a sewing project to do each month, it includes the materials needed (fabrics, string, needles, pins) and information on where you can find their video tutorials to watch.


We received a box with a baby blanket inside! It came with two different types of fabrics, black thread, pins, and a needle to help us create our project. Having an online tutorial is perfect for people who want to learn from home, don't like dealing with instructors or just don't have the time to attend an entire class.


We were very excited to get this going however we have to put the complete project on hold, our sewing machine is a bit old and it decided it didn't want to work during our project, so we have someone who is going to see if they can fix it, otherwise we will get a new one. However we've had this box for a little while so I want to get the review done for them. I like that they included everything you need, I honestly wasn't expecting them to include the needle needed as well.

The fabrics included are perfect for a baby blanket, they included a section of soft white mink blanket and a smaller section of floral pattern to go in the middle of the baby blanket. The only thing I would change about it is if they had an option to choose girly or boyish cloths, or include a small section of two different cloths. A friend of ours is having a baby boy, and isn't looking for a floral pattern so I think when I get our sewing machine fixed up I will swap out the floral pattern material for a different one. The tutorial that they provide is extremely easy to follow along with, even starters like us are able to following along without any issues and it is a great way to learn along the way. You won't end up using the entire spoon of thread, and the needle/pins are able to be reused so you can add them to your sewing kit.

How much does it cost? The Sew What Box is $35 a month, and each month will have a different project. They offer duffel bags, baby blankets, aprons and more so you can learn different techniques.

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by The Sew What Box for the Review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

37 comments:

Scott DeNicola said...

This is a really great idea that I could see purchasing for my mother in law who loves to sew. Each month she could have something new to work on. It's great that your daughter is also interested. Most kids just want to sit on an electronic device all day. Thank you for the tip, I will suggest to my wife we get this for her mom!

Kelly said...

I’ve never been interested in sewing but maybe with a kit like this I could give it a try. It’s nice that there’s a new project each month.

Kileen said...

This is such an awesome subscription and box! Love the idea of a new project every month, so fun!

Kileen

Unknown said...

This is such a cool idea! I've always liked the idea of learning how to sew but it's super overwhelming. This would be the perfect way to get started!

Prakhar Kasera said...

My granny is mostly sewing whole day, may be this could be a nice addition for her.

Dreams Abroad said...

The sew what box seems pretty cool for a present. Maybe for someone that wants to learn how to sew. I wonder if they have any tutorials on youtube...

Serena said...

Aaah how cool! So many creative businesses out there, that match every need.

Despite Pain said...

This is such a lovely idea. I know many people would be interested in sewing, but don't know where to start, what materials to buy or where to buy them. This seems like a great way to get started.

Lyosha Varezhkina said...

such a fun idea! I know couple of people who would be head over heels with this box

Buyingstylewithmeg said...

Wow - I had no idea that they had this! I love to sew as well - but I think I'd rather be able to pick out my own fabrics..I may have to look into this though, as the thought of it just coming to my door is rather convenient!

Britt K said...

This is such a great idea, I'll have to see if they ship to Canada. Sewing using a sewing machine is something that I have always wanted to learn. My sister is a fashion designer, but she lives too far away to easily teach me how to do it. I think this is an amazing option!

Lene Andersen said...

That such a lovely idea. It removes having to make a decision about what you’re making and helps you focus just on learning the different techniques. I think the only thing I would want from such a box is the option to choose material that is non-gendered — for people who don’t know the baby’s sex, for instance.

Mike A. said...

My daughter got a toy sewing machine for Christmas, which she loves. Something like this is right up her alley. Didn't know a monthly sewing theme boxed existed. Cool stuff!

Rachel said...

This sounds great. I've already taken up crochet so sewing might be my next thing.

John Smith said...

The variety of projects sounds like there'll always be something new to try!

Mybeautifulcrazyworld said...

What a really neat idea! I have always been able to.sew a bit, but would live to learn more.

LuLu - Calabrisella Mia said...

This subscription book with projects for sewing is a great idea and how wonderful that you can do this with your daughter. I love how they include everything, beginners may not have the necessary supplies right at the start so this is a great way to grow your tool kit to try new projects in the future!

Subhashish Roy said...

This would be such a lovely gift for my sister who loves sewing. Quite love the idea with newer projects every time.

Joanna said...

This subscription box sounds great for people who love to sew and want to have a project to work on each month. I wouldn't know where to start, I never sewed before.

Lyanna Soria said...

That sounds awesome! That is something I would love to subscribe to and have tons of fun.

Minha said...

such great idea. thanks for sharing this

Thuy said...

OMG awesome idea! I haven't sewn in so long and would love to start doing it again. I wonder if there's a knitting or crochet box out there too

The Part-time Mama said...

I never knew a sewing box existed! My daughter is showing an interest in sewing lately - I may get her enrolled into this!

eya_greyjoy said...

Very handy 😍😍 great gift for my grandma

Debra Roberts said...

There is a monthly box for everything these days! This is a lost art, so I'm happy to see something like this exists!

Judy said...

This craft is just not for me. I guess it is easier now with YouTube to follow.

tat2gurlzrock said...

I am not a crafty person but this does look fun!

Nancy P said...

Looks like super fun box!

Maryann D. said...

I never heard of the Sew What Box before this. What a super idea and a fun gift.
twinkle at optonline dot net

Jessica w said...

I would love to learn how to sew. This looks fun

Lisa said...

This is so cool! I would love to try this!

wendy Hutton said...

everyone needs to learn sewing skills, they need to teach this is school still they did when I grew up

elizabeth miller said...

My mom sews amazingly but I never had the patience to learn. Sort of wish I had,

Chaylin Crawford said...

This is so creative and cool! I'd love to get a subscription box like this to craft things for my daughter.

kewlshopper said...

I would love to see my grand daughter doing this kind of work.

Rabab said...

That actually seems like a wonderful idea for a product. We have an old sewing machine at home that my gradma used to sew with, sadly no one used it after she died, but I would like to learn how to sew and give it a try. Hopefully when I get better I will bye a new machine

Wanda B said...

I like that it includes all the materials.