Thursday, May 23, 2019

Three interesting reads for summer!

My kids and I always get so excited when we see a new Candlewick Press package at our door at the end of the day because we know it means we have new books to explore. Candlewick Press has so many amazing books, their books capture our imaginations, satisfy our curiosity and leave us yearning for more. I have another bundle of three books to share with you that would make a great addition to any summer reading list. All three are brand new publications that just became available for purchase this month.





Sea Glass Summer
Written By Michelle Houts
Retail Value $16.99

This sweet book is about a little boy who goes to visit his grandmother at her seaside cottage for the summer. On his trip there he is given an old magnifying glass that belonged to his grandfather and he discovers the beauty of finding sea glass. His grandmother explains to him that over the course of years at sea the glass that once held a different past, gets shaped into a beautiful piece of seaglass. Each night after finding new pieces of sea glass the little boy dreams of what the items may have been in their past life. I thought this book was quite lovely, and it reminded me of my own grandmother. The artwork in this book is stunning, I love how on one page you'll find a beautiful sunset and on the next it will be a black and white image of the past.





Written By David Mackintosh
Retail Value $16.99

This is a story about about childhood friendships, anticipation, and magic moments that happen while you’re waiting for something else to happen. Follow along with a little boy who is visiting his summer cabin, waiting for his friend who always stays next door to arrive and come play with him. This year things are a little different and Chicken Smith hasn't shown up yet, where is he? While the little boy is remembering the times the two shared together in his past, his younger sister keeps trying to get his attention. In the end of the book you are able to figure out what his sister was trying to show him. I thought this was an interesting book, it was easy to follow along with and it made you picture relaxing near the beach.


Written By Pierre-Jacques Ober
Retail Value $22

This book is a story about the first world war told in miniatures. I think this book is perfect for both history lovers and those who may not like history as much, because the miniatures are so well done that you could just sit and look at the photos while still feeling the ambiance the book wants to achieve. The story is short and the book is loaded with photos that are very realistic, I highly enjoyed reading the book. I am amazed by the amount of work that went into each of the miniatures! In the back of the book you get a behind the scenes look at how the book came to be and it is mind blowing.

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by CandleWick Press for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others.My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

14 comments:

R's Rue said...

So fun.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Scott DeNicola said...

What fun books. We have been collecting sea glass since my girls were young and still do so to this day. I wish this book were around when they were younger. They still get great joy out of searching for beach glass and finding an elusive piece of blue.

Tracy @ Cleland Clan said...

I'd love to purchase the sea glass book. We live near Lake Erie and often look for sea glass along the shore. The grandchildren are almost old enough to participate, and this book would be great to read at the end of a day of searching.

Despite Pain said...

Those books sound like good reads. The sea glass book appeals to me, and I am desperate to find out what happened to Chicken Smith. Lovely book choices.

Trish said...

Oh, these books captured my imagination. I mthink my grandkids would enjoy them too. the first world war in miniatures is a clever idea.

Snehal said...

I would like to check out waiting for chicken smith. Sound like an interesting read for the summers!

Erica Webster-Russell said...

There’s nothing like new books arriving in the mail! I know the feeling. I had never heard of these books before reading your post. Learning about new books is always amazing and exciting. Sea glass summer sounds like a great one.

Jerry Godinho said...

Amazing reads for the spring. The colors are so beautiful and the readings are vivid and take you back to your innocent youth. Thanks for doing this

Isabelle Marie said...

I like the Sea Glass Summer the images look nice.

Lyosha Varezhkina said...

Those books look so lovely! I bet any kid would enjoy reading it as well as any parent approve of it

Travelwisesr said...

I am a freak when it comes to buying books. And every child at some point if life would have loved collecting sea glass. I would love to but this book too.

Live Learn Better said...

I haven't read any of these books with my kids yet but they look very interesting. Will have to check them out.

honeybunnytwee said...

I’d be very interested in reading the sea glass book. I love finding sea glass on the beach, it’s like combing the beach for treasure

Debra Roberts said...

I’m an empty Nester and the grandbabies are teeny, but I do love seeing thorough book reviews before buying them!