Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Circuit Mess DIY STEM for kids!


My kids have always loved hands-on crafts, activities & projects that they can either do by themselves or with their dad & I. So when I was offered the chance to check out one of the DIY STEM projects from a brand called Circuit Mess, I couldn't refuse. We were sent Spencer to put together & do a review on, Spencer is a personal voice assistant that you are able to build & code on your own. Something that is good to know before hand is that some of the kits they have require the use of a soldering tool, if you do not have one they can be picked up at a number of stores locally & for younger children they may need assistance with the project. This specific kit is recommended for ages 11+. We were also gifted one of their shirts which features their Batmobile that you can put together. 


Everything you will need for this project aside from the soldering tool & a screwdriver are included in this building kit. It was well packaged so everything arrived safely for us to start working on. There is quite a bit of information packed into the building guide, so you won't find the guide inside of your building box. Instead you will need access to the internet on a phone, tablet or laptop that can be placed near you & is easy to look at during the build. The building guide not only has instructions on how to build Spencer, but it also includes information on all of the tools you will need for this, links to helpful guides and tips on soldering incase you've never had to solder before & more. I found the build guide to be quite detailed & very helpful, they even have plenty of photos in full color for the visual learners. 



I think that these kits are great not just for teaching your children practical skills such as coding or using the various tools you will need, but also life skills like patients and staying calm & collected while working with small detailed parts. You can purchase a one time box, or subscribe & you will get a new project to work on every one to three months (depends on your plan). Spencer is part of the STEM box which is for ages 11+, but if that is a little too advanced for your child they also have the Wacky Robots line which is for ages 9+ along with working on two other lines that are for younger children as well. The STEM box is $80 per box & is a once per every three months subscription, the Wacky Robots are $28 a box and are delivery once a month. They also sell bundles which have set prices and show you exactly which buildable you will receive, so if you've had your eye on a particular build of theirs then the bundles might be the right place to look for you.


My husband & Son enjoyed doing this project together, this fun to do together and the end results are something your child will be able to work on, adjust and play with for quite some time to come. They have a number of apps and more available on their websites and guides that will allow you to update and create your Spencer how you would like. With summer coming up these kits are a great way to keep your child's mind engaged & entertained over the summer break. My son is looking forward to checking out all of the various apps Circuit Mess has & playing with his voice assistant more. I think this would be a great subscription as well for adults who want to know more about coding.

Is this something you think your kids will enjoy as well?

Disclaimer- Circuit Mess provided the product above for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

25 comments:

Stephanie Schwartzhoff said...

What an interesting kit! Looks like this would make a great gift for older children - seems it would challenge them and would be great for teamwork with siblings.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to start these STEM activities. I am such a fan. I would love to check out their subscription box.

Marysa said...

This sounds like a neat kit for kids. I wasn't familiar with this kind of circuitry kit, and it is nice that this is available for children.

Eileen M Loya said...

My grandson loves to build and create things. Having his own Spencer would be so cool. I am sure he'd have loads of fun building it.

Pedja said...

DIY gifts are perfect for children nowadays to challenge their mental and motorik abilities, when everything is served done, and prepared already.

Ntensibe Edgar said...

Yyyeeeaaahhhh...I think they will love this task. It should fully occupy them and get them cracking their heads to build something good.

Yeah Lifestyle said...

STEM projects are great for kids. My kids love to put things together, so I know they would really enjoy this kit.

Samantha Donnelly said...

This does sound like a great kit to get the brain thinking. This is definitely something my kids would have done with their Dad

Lavanda of Appetizers & Entrées said...

I'm always looking for new and engaging ways to get my kids interested in science and technology. It's great to have recommendations from someone who has actually tried the product themselves.

Lesa said...

OMG, this is way to cool! I'm 11+ lol, I'm totally getting this for my nephew, but he as to work on the circuits at my house. I did electronics as part of my studied years ago and I loved it, maybe this is a way to get back into building electrical equipment... and teaching my little nephew a thing or two.

Anonymous said...

This is such an interesting kit and something my boys would definitely enjoy. Thanks for the share

Laura said...

oooohh as a homeschooling family this is very exciting. My kids would love this.

Tammy said...

Looks like a really great set for curious minds. Super impressed by this and I think it's just amazing to engage the younger generation in science and technology.

Nyxie said...

This looks amazing. Never mind the kids, I want a go!

Kristy Bullard said...

My kids would love this! It looks like a great way to have some fun, spend time as a family, and learn a few things all at the same time.

Monidipa said...

Your blog post on Circuit Mess DIY STEM for kids is a delightful read. The way you have explained the concept and its benefits for kids is impressive. Keep up the good work!



Julie Ann said...

My nephew's birthday is coming up and this sounds like a great gift for him. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Circuit Mess DIY Stem kit for kids!

alita said...

My kids birthday is comingup soon. Thankfully I found your site in time. This would be a perfect gift for him.

Brianna said...

My son would LOVE THIS!! I need to get him one.

Celebrate Woman said...

One of the best ways to learn and have fun with the circuit toys! Such an amazing toy for any age.

Anonymous said...

I would have loved this as a kid. I hope to introduce lots of STEM ideas to my daughter when she’s older!

Chad said...

This is so so cool!!! I love doing tech DIY with my son, it is so much fun.

Christina Ferguson said...

What a fun and educational project. I love how you can get a app to update and create your Spencer how you would like it to be.

kywave said...

What a great educational experience for my sons

Levi Ackerman said...

Wow, this is so cool. I think that my son would enjoy doing this, and I would love to as well! I think I'll get it so we can spend some time together :)