Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Spooky October treats with Gramma In A Box!


My kids jumped for joy when they spotted the October Gramma In A Box sitting on our counter when they came home from school last week. They wanted to get into it right away but were slightly disappointed when I told them we had to wait a day or two until we were able to sit down and make our October treats. As you can imagine they were bursting with excitement when we sat down to see what was in the box and make our goodies. What is a Gramma In A Box kit? This box was originally created by owner Terry, who has grandchildren who live out of state, this box gives her and her grandchildren a chance to work on decorating cookies together over Skype, over time it has turned into a full time business for other parents and grandparents who want to do the same with their children.


Each month you'll receive supplies to create three different treats, everything you need (aside from a fork and bowl) along with instructions are in the box. The October box includes goodies to make Witch hat cookies, "Mud" cups with gummi worms and body parts, and shaped sugar cookies.


To create the Witch hats you'll need thin Oreos, melting chocolate, sprinkles and Hershey's kisses. The first step is to cover the Oreo in chocolate, the directions say to thinly spread the chocolate just on the top half of the cookie but we decided to coat both sides. After you've covered your cookie in chocolate, add a Hershey's kiss on top and sprinkles for decoration. Let the Witch hats sit on the wax paper for 3-5 minutes to let the chocolate set. We all really enjoyed these, the Oreos being thin made it to where the cookies weren't hard to eat.


I didn't realize it until they were already gone, but the photos I took of the chocolate cups we made came out blurry so I include a photo of all the treats above where you can see the cups. For these cups you'll need cocoa pebbles, the rest of the melting chocolate, gummi worms, and candy eyes/bones. Mix the cocoa pebbles with the rest of the melting chocolate until the cereal is completely coated, and add an even amount to each of the wrappers. Once you have the "dirt" or "mud" how you'd like it, you can add gummi worms and body parts as decoration. My kids enjoyed making and eating these, as you can see each cup is quite unique.




Sugar cookies! This is personally my favorite part because it is a lot of fun decorating the cookies with the kids, and they are so delicious. Some sugar cookies have too much sugar and some are too dry, these are just right and taste fresh. Gramma In A Box always includes three different piping bags with three different frosting colors to use for decorating, plus different sprinkles so you can decorate your cookies however you'd like. Above you might notice that the pumpkin has a green stem, I wanted a green stem but there were no green sprinkles so I cut off the end of one of the gummi worms to use as the stem. It is best to roll the frosting in your palms a bit before cutting them open, this will warm the frosting up a bit allowing it to be spread easier, otherwise it tends to clump up a bit.

You can purchase a singular box to try out or you can purchase a 3,6,or 12 month subscription and automatically at the start of each month your box will be shipped out. In total there are enough goodies in the box to create 15 to 20 finished items (each cookie counts as a finished item). A single box is $20 or if you buy a subscription the price lowers a bit depending on which subscription you purchase. If you are a new subscriber you need to place an order before the 3rd of each month in order to receive that month's box. This subscription service is only available in the US. During the holidays there are holiday themed items in the box which adds to the fun of the box.

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Gramma In A Box for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

29 comments:

Slavica Jovanovic said...

Delicious post! These look so cute. I will have to try them out. Thank you for sharing.

Shayar Ashiq said...

Awesome buddy thanks for sharing

Beti Paunoska said...

Awesome and look so delicious,must try them

bye:myself said...

This is such an igenious idea - and the results speak for themselves! Well done!!

Ruchi Mayank Verma said...

This is so yummy and perfect box ...looks so delicious and yummy!!

Simon Starchevsky said...

Delicious treats for Halloween. Thank you for sharing, this looks amazing and I'm sure it tastes even better.

aisasami said...

I loooooooooove making sugar cookie, especially with holiday shapes! I will have to look into getting this box!

D'ondra said...

I love a good cute treat. People are being creative when it comes to baking for holidays or events. I love it.

Polly said...

These are really cute and I bet they're delicious too! I think I've seen something similar here - my little cousins brought a kit and we all worked on it. It was easy to make and it was so much fun.

Chesz D. said...

Aw. I love that treat. It looks good.

Bindu Thomas said...

This is a very creative idea. and the goodies look quite delicious too.

Itsasweetsweetworld said...

This is such a great idea. Making 3 new and different treats every month sounds like so much fun!

Be Back After said...

How creative! My kids would love to try some of these ideas

Shruti said...

Omg that looks delicious. I wish I can eat them from my phone.

Sandra D. said...

These would be great to make with the grandchildren.

Kelly said...

These Halloween treats look great. I’ll have to check out gramma in a box.

Dad On The Edge said...

What a great idea. The creativity of some people is off the charts and I love how this started as a simple idea and turned into a business. Kudos to Grandma in a box.

SarahWithASmile said...

Sugar cookies are the best! And these come with a fun factor of decorating them. What a great fun activity.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful concept! Baking holiday treat (and anytime treats) is so much fun with kids. Gramma In A Box sounds like a wonderful gift option for children.

live learn better said...

These are wonderful baking ideas. Thank you for sharing

Mariana Galdo said...

I really loved all what you did. My mom and I are really into baking, specially cookies and we have a similar bat cookie cutter. And the Gramma in the Box kit is an amazing idea. Sometimes it is difficult to find all the supplies, or you don't know which one to use, so this helps a lot in my opinion.

Lyosha said...

How cute is that! i am absolutely positively crazy about Halloween soo....

Anonymous said...

I like the story behind the setting up of Gramma in a Box. Such a creative way for kids to connect with their grandparents and parents. Your kids seem to have greatly enjoyed making the cookies. A sweet way to kick off Halloween.

Travelwisesr said...

Great idea to get our kids involved in not only making some lovely stuff but also to help them to have a creative bent of mind.No wonder it has become a successful business idea.

Adventures with Shelby said...

The halloween themed treats look so fun!

Unknown said...

These are such cute Halloween inspired deserts! My daughter loves all things spooky, we will be trying these out! So fun!!

Kayleigh said...

Yum, the witch hats look delish! I'm not in the US so this subscription service isn't available here, but it looks so fun! I think we have a couple direct seller companies that offer similar type services though, where you can sign up for monthly orders.

Sushmita Malakar said...

Such delicacies! I feel like making some even though I don't have any kids at home! :D

Stephanie LaPlante said...

I love Halloween treats. These are very cute and they sound delicious.