Thursday, October 10, 2019

Explore while reading with Candlewick Press.


I always encourage my children to read as much as possible, so when we are given the chance to review some new books, how could we say no? If you haven't heard of Candlewick Press you are really missing out, they have hundreds of wonderful books for all ages. I am going to share five of their great books with you on this post.





This beautiful book features artwork by more than fifty artists around the world, sharing a message about human migration. The book starts off with a seabird with a wish from it's artist that it will have a safe journey with a openhearted welcome by the other artists. You'll find hand drawn postcards in this book from twenty-five different countries and each page includes messages of hope. It is really quite an interesting and inspirational book to read.



My First Book of New York by Ingela P. Arrhenius (Retail $18.99)

My children always get a kick out of books that are over sized, this book is 10 1/4" x 13 3/4" and comes in a hardcover. This book covers a ton of information about New York, it showcases different cities and locations in those cities. I've never personally been to New York so it was neat learning more about it, I think this book would be fantastic for anyone thinking of moving to New York or writing a grade school paper on the state. This is the first in what is going to become a series, and I look forward to seeing the other states they dedicate a book too.



Playing with Collage by Jeannie Baker (Retail $16.00)

Have you ever looked at a beautiful collage made by using various items from around the house or even outside, and wondered how it was made? Jeannie Baker is well known for her astonishing collages and is now sharing some of her secrets with the world encouraging others to get creative. I like that the book helps go over different materials, tools and tricks for making your own collage. We really enjoyed this book and wanted to share it so I gave it to my sons first grade teacher so all the kids in class can use it. The book includes photos of the different tools and materials she talks about along with examples of collages she's done, just the cover alone is enough to catch your eye.


Sleep: How Nature Gets Its Rest by Kate Prendergast (Retail $16.99)

This book is for animal lovers who are curious how various animals sleep at night, it shows a number of different animals from sloths to fish and how they sleep naturally out in the wild. We enjoyed learning about the different ways animals sleep, it is neat to see that how they sleep is just as unique as they are. The illustrations are soft, calming and peaceful which goes with the theme of the book.



Walk This Underground World by Sam Brewster (Retail $19.99)

Interactive books are always a lot of fun, it is neat to come across a book that has flaps, books within books, or paper scrolls that allow you to interact with the book. This book is packed with over eighty flaps to explore and read. You'll get to explore the underground world of the subway, Egyptian pyramids, meerkat homes and more. My son has been enjoying taking his time reading through this book and has been having fun learning about each underground world.

Which of these books interests you the most? When you are looking for new books to buy for your children, or children you know, what type of books do you normally look for?

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Candlewick Press for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

17 comments:

Abby Keen Hewes said...

My First Book of New York and the Sleep books look like books my kids would love to explore.

SarahWithASmile said...

Migrations really caught my attention. I love art and traveling the world, so this book would get a good reaction from my family.

Kelly said...

These children’s books look great. I especially like the collage book. So creative!

Shrutu said...

My brother would love the collage one. Great books!

Sonia Seivwright said...

My friend's son would love the collage book.

Dreams Abroad said...

The kids books look great. Let me stock up for my nephews before the Christmas rush happens.

Unknown said...

These look incredible! My daughter would love these. We typically rent library books often, but the Sleep book looks so fascinating!

Betsy Carter said...

I love reading books with my children, especially the interactive ones, they are so much fun! : )

Daphne Takahashi said...

This children books seem so nice! Specially the interactive ones! It makes reading so dynamic!

honeybunnytwee said...

As a kid I loved interactive books the most. What interesting reads and I love the illustrations

Lyosha Varezhkina said...

oh my! the books are beautiful! wonderfully made illustrations and covers, makes me want to read!

Travelwisesr said...

Great books. I too loved oversized books during childhood days. Here I would love to start with the book on Migration.

Erica Webster-Russell said...

One of my friends just became a grandparent, so this will go on my book recommendation list as the munchkin grows and starts exploring and learning.

Alexandra said...

These look like really great books! And I love the messages they portray, especially the one about animals and the one about migration. The collage one looks neat too but I can see my son kind of tearing it apart.

Sofiane said...

Beautiful books

Clarice said...

Yes, Candlewick Press definitely has a lot of good titles. We actually have quite a lot at home and would love to add the book on Migrations and Walk this underground world. I believe my kids would love it. Thank you sharing this wonderful list.

Stephanie LaPlante said...

These books all sound very lovely.