Monday, August 12, 2019

Spend an afternoon at the Crescent Moon Picnic Site in Sedona,AZ.

Many people who have never been to Arizona think it is nothing but a big desert full of cactus, however that is far from true! We have many beautiful areas filled with woods, beach like areas near our lakes/rivers and more. Summer can get pretty hot so we spend a lot of time in the water during that time, so over the weekend we decided to take a trip up near Sedona,Arizona to play in Oak Creek. The spot we stopped at was quite lovely so I wanted to share it with those of you who may end up in the area and want a place to explore.


The spot we went is called the Crescent Moon Ranch day use area and it is located at 333 Red Rock Crossing Rd Sedona,AZ 86336. This site boasts gorgeous views of Sedona's red rock formations, it's beautiful trees and it offers a little escape from the blazing heat. This day use area is part of an old historic ranch property so when you visit this park it is tucked away in a small community, so please drive carefully when driving through their neighborhood. It is $11 to get in for a car of up to five people, additional guests are $2 each.




The turn off that takes you into the area that holds Crescent Moon is directly off of the 89A highway, as you are turning onto the road that will take you to your destination you'll get the chance to see the neat sculpture shown above along with some gorgeous views of the scenery. I highly recommenced getting to this location early, this spot along many others in the area have parking lots that are on a first come first serve basis, if the parking lot gets full they have you wait in line until someone leaves which could be an hour or it could be three. We arrived just as the lost spot was being filled, however my step-dad is disabled so they had a handicap spot available that we were able to park in near the bathrooms which was convenient. Bathroom wise, they aren't bad for being a park in the great out doors, they were better maintained than many city park bathrooms I've seen. I do want to note though that there is no sink in the bathroom, outside there is a small water tap you can use to wash your hands or pack some hand wipes/sanitize before you come. Since the property is part of a historic Ranch there are still buildings and more that you can photograph and check out, not far from this area is the actual Crescent Moon Ranch where you can book the cabin to stay in (the cabin is $200 a night). All of the park rangers we encountered were friendly and helpful, you can spot at least two rangers through out the day keeping and eye on the park and helping keep it clean.


Most of the river front spots that are closer to the parking area fill up quickly which is another good reason to get there early, otherwise you'll need to hike back a bit further. There is a decent path through the woods that goes along one of the forks in the creek, though a decent section of it was pretty muddy so sadly my step-dad wasn't able to make it back that far so he hung out near the parking area exploring. The area is kept quite clean, we only noticed a few pieces of trash otherwise everyone has done a wonderful job taking out what they've brought it. The creek had a nice crisp cool to it that was very pleasant on our feet/legs as we played in the water, we had a lot of fun looking at bugs, looking for neat rocks and enjoying some fun in the water under the protection of the shady trees. On one of the forks of the creek there is a large flat area that is covered with a thin layer of algae, it is quite slippery in that area so you'll need to be careful if you decide to venture into that section as many have been spotted slipping in that patch of the river. Other than that area we didn't notice any overly slippery areas, I actually was bare foot in the river for the majority of the time we were exploring and I walked back to the car bare foot as well, the sandy areas felt nice on my feet.




I wish I had taken more photos of the different areas of the creek however my husband took some of our extra bags back to the car so we wouldn't have so much to lug around while we explored so I didn't have my phone or camera on me. If you are looking for more than swimming or getting in the water, there are also hiking trails, and picnic areas to visit. I didn't see or notice a ton of birds or small critters, we did however see some small fish, frogs, crawdads, tons of lizards, a snake (garden snake) and some bugs. Keep in mind you are out in nature, so keep an eye on where you are exploring so you don't run into any of the bad snakes. We stayed at this spot for about three hours before we decided to head out and visit another spot before heading home, on our way out there was a huge line of cars waiting for a parking spot. If you get hungry and didn't bring anything with you, this area is located between Sedona and Cottonwood so you aren't far from plenty of places to eat and shop.

46 comments:

Florid Forest said...

oh cool, thanks for sharing. I am one of those people who thinks its a big desert, haha! Maybe I've only visited the desert-like areas!

Sanjota Purohit said...

Woww! What a beauty. Nature never fails to amuse me.

beautybeyondphysique said...

breathtaking view

Nia said...

I guess I only stopped at the boring parts of AZ, lol! Looks like fun(:

Scott DeNicola said...

I've only ever visited the oven that is southern Arizona but would love to one day visit the Sedona Area. I could sit by the rivers edge all day. It looks so peaceful and relaxing. If I ever make my way north in Arizona I will be sure to visit Crescent Moon Ranch

Luna Moon said...

While there I highly suggest heading just south of Sedona to visit Jerome as well. It is a historic and beautiful town up on the side of a mountain. I am trying to put together a post on it in October!

Despite Pain said...

I really didn't expect parts of Arizona to be like this. It's so green. I love the woods and the creek. That would be my type of travel destination. It looks so peaceful.

Evan Petzer said...

Looks like you'll go for a picnic and instead of picknicking get lost in the beautiful surroundings.

SincerelyMissJ said...

I have heard so many good things about Sedona, Arizona. Thank you for this. This is my next visit.

Adventures with Shelby said...

Looks like a great place to explore!

Rudy said...

I've been to Tucson once or twice and I remember how much I enjoyed the light show that the electrical storms would display across the skies. That watermill, though!

Live Learn Better said...

Your post about Arizona keeps making the place attractive to me. I will surely visit one day to experience all the wonders of nature.

Francisco said...

You're right, I didnt expect that from Arizona! Reminds me a lot of home (australia)

siennylovesdrawing said...

yeah!! I love to travel, yes, a typical travel lover, almost more than 3 times in a year, just love your captures in this sharing. Thanks for this awesome sharing. cheers, siennylovesdrawing

Snehal said...

I am ever ready to visit places where there is greenery and water 😍 and this is a great spot! By the way, awesome clicks!

Anonymous said...

Great spot for a picnic! Absolutely love these stunning views! Not so much into the reptiles, though

Sophie said...

This is one of the best places that I had visited in Arizona. Loved reading your post as it took me down the memory lane.

Joyce Osiango said...

I love nature, there is a special connection about it I love the photos they are really great.

Martin said...

Would love to come to Arizona and am planning a tour of the states too. Thanks for sharing. Love being out with nature

Viano Dee said...

There are so many places people assume are slumps or deserts or things like that until they either get there or are told otherwise by others who have been there. Arizona is quite lovely and the Cresent Moon is a really beautiful natural environment. If only you had your camera to take more pictures. Nice post.

anshul said...

This whole place is a delight to click photos

Lindsay Brown said...

What a beautiful place! I love the look of that creek, so fresh and inviting. I feel like being in a place like that would be energising! Great photos, thanks for sharing!

Jen @ Jenron Designs said...

This is so beautiful, I have not spent a lot of time in Arizona but I would love to see the location in person someday.

Binge on Basics said...

This looks like a great spot for picnic. All the pictures came out be just perfect. Loved them all

Lorita said...

Crescent Moon Picnic Site sounds like a place from the Sailormoon! LOL I'd picnic there anytime!

eya_greyjoy said...

Im so envious of the Crescent Moon Picnic Site 😍😍😍😍

Eya San Jose said...

Im so envious of the Crescent Moon Picnic Site ��������

Tracy @ Cleland Clan said...

I need to spend a week or two in Arizona. I've planned out a couple of scenarios, and Sedona was on my list. We'll definitely check out this place when we go.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to visit Arizona. I would like to visit this place--I enjoy historic areas that preserve all the nature around. Beautiful photos!!
-Kaye

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! My mom and I have been talking about going to Sedona for years as it is known to for its spiritual vortexes. We will definitely keep this place in mind for our trip!

Quin said...

I love these photos you have taken of Arizona. I could already imagine it, it could be quite an adventure. Definitely worth checking out this place.

Travelwisesr said...

It looks like a nature's paradise and would be a pleasure to be visiting such a wonderful place. While going through reading and seeing the pics, I got transported there.Thanks for sharing.

honeybunnytwee said...

I’m eager to take my new picnic basket for a spin lol. Arizona is on my travel bucket list particularly Sedona!

Erica Webster-Russell said...

I will be adding this to my Arizona travel list! My favorite person on the planet lives near Sedona and I’ve been planning a trip because I miss his face. I’ve also never been to Arizona, so your posts about areas I’ll be in are perfect. I’ve been working on a list of things I want to do and places to go.

Norma Nikutowski said...

The Crescent Moon Picnic Site in Sedona,AZ seems like the perfect place to spend some time with family in nature. Awesome pictures!

Alexandra said...

It looks really neat and I got caught up in all the hiking and outdoor-life I saw, until I read the price of the cabin. $200 a night? I get it but I think I would just need to go someplace where I could camp out. I'm sure it would be more comfortable in a cabin though. I just love the outdoors!

Debra Roberts said...

My husband and I got married at Red Rock Crossing with Cathedral Rock behind us and we took photos on the fence in front of that wheel too! Amazing place!

Kara Hyvarinen said...

I absolutely love Sedona.We go about once a year and it's beautiful.

Blair villanueva said...

I know Arizona after watching many episodes from History Channel. One of the awesome place I wish to visit, and wow you made it!

Sandra D. said...

I would love to travel to Arizona during our Canadian Winters.

Desthn21 said...

Nice article

LILLIAN BROWN said...

Sedona looks lovely and so much to see and do

Nancy P said...

Beautiful pictures. My son & his girlfriend are in Sierra Vista now.

elizabeth miller said...

this looks so beautiful. My son was stationed in Az and the pictures he would send me were amazing.

Gala said...

beautiful pictures, interesting place, thanks for the ideas

Stephanie LaPlante said...

Arizona definitely looks like a beautiful place to visit! The lizards would be my favorite.