Thursday, February 21, 2019

A night of games with the family.


It's game time! Last week I posted a review of two fun games from Goliath games, today I'll be sharing two games with you one from Jax Games and one from Pressman Toys. For those of you who aren't aware Goliath games recently acquired Jax games, I was sent all four games together but since they are available on separate websites I thought it would be best to post the reviews separate as well.

Like most families we own a gaming console, tablets and cell phones that we enjoy using but it is nice to disconnect from our devices and sit down as a family to enjoy a board game, so we have a large game collection. Some games are only good for a few plays because you'll start to remember the answer cards and other games like the two below will always have a different outcome so they are able to be enjoyed over and over.



Sequence (Retail $11.99); Recommended for ages 7+ and allows 2-12 players at a time. This game can get pretty fast paced and it is a lot of fun, it reminds me of a super charged game of Bingo mixed with four in a row. To play you'll place a card from your hand down on the table and place a matching chip on the corresponding board number, once you get five in a row. Sounds easy right? It would be if the other players didn't get the chance to remove your chips, blocking you from being able to win. My kids have a lot of fun playing this game and even our youngest was able to pick this up quickly.

Do you think you have what it takes to make it to five in a row?




Rummikub (Retail $13+); Recommended for ages 8+ and allows 2-4 players at a time. I am not going to lie on this one, their website talks about how easy the game is to learn but between the four of us playing it was a bit confusing at first trying to figure out exactly how the game is played. The game is played using a number of tiles with different colored numbers and a "Joker" tile which can be played in place of any color tile or number. The objective of the game is to play every tile on your rack, the first to do so wins. Tiles are played in "Runs" such as 1-13 all of the same color, or all the 13's and Groups which are three or more tiles with the same number but different colors. We've only played this once so far but I look forward to trying it out again! The set we received game in a wooden box with wooden racks but looking around online it seems like most of the games come in a regular cardboard game box with plastic racks, the cardboard boxes of games can be ruined easily so I am quite happy with our wood box.

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Jax Games & Pressman Toys for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others.My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.


42 comments:

Ladystitch said...

I haven't played either game but I love games that make you think!

Samar said...

Interesting games, Thanks for the cool post :)

LISA KAELA YU said...

Looks fun! I'll have to look into getting these for my fam jam nights as well!

Lisa said...

Looks fun! I'll have to look into getting these for my fam jam nights as well ! :)

cendu said...

I love family game nights. Great way to spend time together and bond. I've tried sequence and it's so much fun! I haven't tried the other but after your review I think Ill pick one up.

Ashli Ferguson said...

I love board games but I have never played any of these!
I like Sorry - hitting their piece back to home yelling SORRYYYY is the best! haha!

Scott DeNicola said...

My family has been a Rummikub fan for years! Love that game. Thanks for the tip on Sequence for out next game night.

Financeoholic said...

Sequence looks fun! I’ll have to add these to our board game nights.

Melody said...

We loce board games but have gotten away from them in recent years. Your post makes me want to revive our Friday night game night. We have many but I have never tried these even though I have seen them in stores. I'll be looking into them both. Thanks.

Folabest said...

Sequence is just a great game to waste time upon. Nice post

kelly said...

Looks fun! I've never heard of these games but I will definitely look into them. Thanks for sharing!

Stace Edoha said...

There's nothing better than a good board game with the family. This one sounds fun!

Vincent Monaco said...

We like board games in my house too. Never heard of either of these. I will look for them for our next game night.

Ashley said...

My boyfriend and I love playing board games, especially at bars. We might get one of these...thanks for sharing!

Ashley
www.mixtapeyogi.com

Unknown said...

These are cool games. Games like these keep us engaged the right way. 🤗

Hello Draw Easy said...

Such fun, creative ideas! Thanks for posting!

indra k said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post on games review. Seem to be super fun.

Neil Alvin Nicerio said...

Interesting. First time to see that kind of game before.

Lindsay Brown said...

Our family tries to do board game day every Sunday so this post is really helpful in finding more options for our game day! I think that Sequence sounds like a blast. SonethSom my son would probably love, I will have to check it out!

Live Learn Better said...

I haven't tried any of these games, but will check it out.

Elizabeth O said...

I like playing these type of games with family. I play Risk and Monopoly. Try this one too and I will try this Sequence game. This seems so cool. Thanks for sharing tips here.

Matija said...

Board game nights are the best you get together and play games, that may or may not will destroy your love for each other xD I didn't hear about these games but they do seem a lot of fun, I might look into them more cause why not :D

Tracy @ Cleland Clan said...

I'd really like to try Sequence. It's great that you can have up to twelve players and that the little ones can join in the fun.

Johnny Quid said...

Firstly, I love the idea of playing ACTUAL board games with the family. I like video games and all, but there's something super exciting about sitting around a table with your family with snacks and drinks, playing board games and card games. When I have kids, I'm definitely gonna do this. My future son will need to know the pain of having an entire hand of UNO Draw Fours and Skips slammed down on him. It's a right of passage.

Andrea (2oddravens) said...

This looks like a really fun game! Makes me miss playing games with my cousins (aka completely making games up) when we were children.

Nina Nichols said...

So, I never really played UNO and I just learned it here. lol. This looks interesting and something we might do the next time the family gather.

Erica Webster-Russell said...

I am always looking for new board games to add into my game night rotation! These look like a lot of fun. I’ll be adding them to my list to check out when I head to the store next.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your honesty in these reviews! I like a challenge though, so these look great.

Travelwisesr said...

Very interesting games.Good for spending some quality time with family.

danielle rice said...

I don't think I've heard of these games. I usually play UNO, Monopoly, and Candyland.

Aliya said...

I haven’t played any of these games. They both should like a lot fun. Thanks for sharing.

StrongIslandSocial said...

I love games and would love to try these two based upon your recommendation. Keshia Richmond

By Joanna IK said...

I do appreciate spending a night of games with family and friends. Good to know of more games suitable for children of various ages.

VAS said...

My kids would love one of these for our family game nights

Totallymomsense said...

I am a huge board game fan. Loved these ideas. Will try it out for my next family game night

Tara at Beach Expressions said...

I have never heard of either of these games. It is so nice to see people still play board games and not just video games. Both of these look like they are fun. I will have to check them out.

Rain Shalom said...

I haven't played any of these but i grew up playing board games. Have you heard of ludo and snake&ladder? I think board games are fun and they bind the family together. I should look into these. Thanks for showing me these games. I think i will love to play sequence when I start my family

Carmen | Wellington World Travels said...

I like board games, but this is my first time hearing these games. These are actually good alternatives to gadgets.

chadden2001 said...

Growing up, I've always played board and card games with the family, usually after a Sunday Roast.

Christiana said...

I love playing games, but unfortunately I haven't had the time to play any games lately,I would definitely love to try this out.

akatwala1421 said...

looks like you had a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

We are a big fan of game nights as well, makes for great family time.