Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Tiny Towns - A Board game review

 

Board games are such a great way to sit down & connect with friends and family while having fun, so I love being able to share some of the board games we've played & love with all of you. Today I wanted to share a great strategy game with you that I was recently gifted from Alderac Entertainment Group called Tiny Towns to check out & write a review on. The goal of this game is exactly what the title states, you will be the architect of your own town trying to out build your opponents while collecting points along the way. This game can be purchased on their website for $49.99, it can also be found on Amazon & at some board game stores. You can play with 1-6 players ages 14+ and games will range from forty to sixty minutes.

Our first game was interesting, we read the rules & understood the basic concept of the game but what I failed to do was actually read the cards we ended up with for our game. It wasn't until almost the middle of our first game that I realized each card had specific rules in order to gain points such as wells being free points, but banks need to be near a certain building, etc. After that we make sure to read all the cards out loud so everyone can pre-plan how they'd like to set up their town.

Seems simple enough to build your own town right? In order to build something you need to collect resources which will need to be laid out in a specific pattern on your board. You'll collect these resources as the game moves along, each time a new player goes they will name one resource. Each player must pick up that same resource & decide where to put it on their map. Free resources are nice, however you can only place one resource per square in your town. Once your board spaces fill up your town is done, any "floating" resources that have not been turned into buildings will become blank spaces and count as a negative point. The game will continue on until every player has a full board, so you see even if you plan ahead of where you'd like to place buildings and win the other players may throw you off based off of what resources they call out.

There can be a huge difference between one game to the next so you never know who might win. For example when we played the other night we played two rounds, I won the first ringing in a glorious thirty-one points which was more than double everyone else. Yet the very next round I only managed to score twelve points. Some resource calls will work out in your favor, while others will leave you scrambling a bit trying to re-plan your next moves, but that is all part of the fun. 

We all seem to enjoy this game, it is easy to set up & not overly complicated to understand. It will help keep your brain & wits sharp trying to plan out your town. We haven't played with more than four players at a time, so I can imagine boards getting a little crazier. Putting everything away is a breeze as well & everything fits back into the box nicely which is a plus. If you want to expand your game, they have several expansions for sale that will add extra elements to the game that are brand new.

Does this sound like a game you would enjoy playing?

Disclaimer- Alderac Entertainment Group provided the products mentioned above for the review  free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchasing the product.

21 comments:

Antoinette M said...

Sounds interesting and fun to play!

Eileen M Loya said...

This looks like a really fun game to play with my younger nieces. I have to get one so that we could play it when they come over this weekend.

Maryann D. said...

I am sure I would have a great time playing this fun and colorful game with my family! It seems terrific.
twinkle at optonline dot net

Lavanda Michelle said...

Wow sounds like a fun game. My children love games with pieces and details like this. I would have to get this.

Sarah Stockley said...

We actually love a board game here but don't make enough time to play them. This looks like one that my son would really enjoy

Marie Cris Angeles said...

I and all my cousins loved to play board games especially when we go on outings. This game seems so much fun.

Samantha Donnelly said...

We used to love board games when the kids were younger, we somehow do not seem to play them anymore. Not seen this one before

alita said...

This is such a fun game. I'm sure everyone in the house will enjoy it. I cannot wait for our own board game.

Beth Pierce said...

This is such a great straightforward game where each player can follow their own strategy as they build their own tiny town. I love it.

Rhian westbury said...

It does sound like a game I'd enjoy as I do love strategy, but struggle with the bigger more elaborate games. At least you figured out the cards before the end x

Chad said...

I love board games! This one seems super fun for the entire family. I would love to play it with the kids.

Patricia Chamberlain said...

This looks like such a cool board game! We are big fans of these types of games in my house. I'll have to check it out.

Sangeetha said...

I love how board games bring people together, and Tiny Towns seems like a great way to spend an evening with family or friends. Thanks for sharing your review and providing details all the details about the game. I'm definitely going to check it out!

Amber said...

This reminds me of monopoly. It looks like a great family game to try out on our next game night.

Julie said...

I love how detailed and thorough your review of Tiny Towns board game is! Your passion for board games really shines through and I appreciate how you not only shared the basic concept of the game, but also included your own personal experience and tips for playing. Your enthusiasm for board games is contagious and I can't wait to try out Tiny Towns myself! Keep up the great work in sharing your love for games with others.

Celebrate Woman said...

I love board games. They can be really awesome to play with kids and family members. This one is so awesome and involves several skill building.

Beth said...

I love how fun this game can be. Thanks for introducing this to us. Im looking forward to trying it.

Neely said...

What a cute idea! We love to play games as a family!

Levi Ackerman said...

What a cute board game! Love the front cover. Frogs and rats ^-^

Marky Ramone Go said...

This looks like a very engaging and fun board games. Taking note of this and will surely look to buy one soon.

Anonymous said...

This so cute! Time to bring game night into my life