Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Exploring Earth - Science Kit Review!

 

If your child loves to collect rocks, loves science or enjoys learning about earth then the exploring earth kit from The Young Scientists Club line sold by Horizon Group USA would make the perfect gift for them this holiday season. This fun kit comes with a dig kit along with supplies for a few science based hands on projects your child will have fun completing. It is recommended for ages five to seven, however I see no reason a child older than seven wouldn't enjoy this as well.


One or two of the projects in this kit can get a little messy so I would suggest doing this kit when the weather is a little nicer out so you can complete them outside & save yourself the hassle. If heading outside to complete the projects isn't an option, you can always lay down a plastic table cloth which will help collect any messes. In total there are sixteen activities included  in this kit & not all of them need to be completed at once so your child can spread them out over the course of a few days. The first project we dove into was the mineral dig, in the book it shows that it is supposed to come with eight minerals in total - four that have been polished & four that are unpolished. Our kit only came with seven of the minerals, we completely broke apart the block then even smashed the pieces into dust to check for the lost gem but it was no where to be seen, while a small bummer it is alright because we still love the others. It came with a little wooden chisel, but I was surprised that a little wooden hammer wasn't included as there is usually a chisel/hammer set in the dig kits we've done in the past. To help contain the mess we did the dig kit on the inside of the box everything came in & did it out on our front porch because the chalk the gems are buried in tends to get everywhere. 

The second project I would suggest potentially doing outside is the exploding volcano, chances are it won't end up everywhere but just in case we did this outside too for an easier clean up. Thankfully we have everything on hand that is needed for this project minus the volcano cone which comes with this kit. I like that the booklet that comes with this kit telling you how to complete the projects also has fun facts about the earth & spots for you to write down your observations of the projects you complete. This kit would make a great kit to use any time of the year & I think it would make a great gift as well for any child in your life interested in STEM projects. 

My son is nine so he was able to complete all of these projects by himself, younger children may need a help with a step or two of the process which works out because the projects are fun to do together. Horizon Group USA sells this kit along with dozens of others across their lines that are perfect for young children, all of the kits are fun yet educational, plus the best part of all is that they are affordable. You can purchase their products on Amazon, or at big box stores such as Walmart, Michaels Craft Stores, Etc. 

Disclaimer-  Horizon Group USA provided me with the products mentioned above for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase. 

14 comments:

Beth said...

FANTASTIC! This is such a fun kit. It's a great way to make learning fun because it's an adventure. They're literally searching for treasure.

Yeah Lifestyle said...

My son loves crystals and gemstones. He collect them, so I know for a fact that he would absolutely love this.

rhian westbury said...

While I wasn't the biggest science fan as a kid, I would have loved this. Getting the gems out especially x

Melissa said...

This would be a great gift idea for my nephew. He loves stuff like this and he would enjoy getting this one!

Chad said...

This is super awesome! I love the idea so so much. I will get it. Thank you so much...

Tammy said...

This actually looks super fun for little ones! What a great gift idea :D

mail4rosey said...

My granddaughter is nine too. This is something I know she would very much enjoy.

Annette, 3 Little Buttons said...

How fun do those kits look! My little one LOVES rocks/gems. She's done a few of the digging for gems kits and can't get enough.

Khushboo said...

This kit looks really so much fun. Will gift it to my nephew.

Motherhood: The Real Deal said...

What a great kit - my daughter loves this kind of thing. This would be totally up her street!

Jasmine M said...

This looks like such a fun thing to have. Kids always love Science kits. They're very interactive.

Marysa said...

What a great kit! Always nice to see ways for kids to get creative and learning things as well.

Antoinette M said...

I love these kits. So much fun to dig for gems!

Melissa Greene said...

I love kits like this and so do my kids, all of the kits you have shown from this brand look like fun.