Thursday, October 20, 2022

Destinies a fantastic table top game!

 

I have had the pleasure of testing out a few games sold by Lucky Duck Games & while I have enjoyed all of them, I have to say that my favorite by far is Destinies. If you enjoy a D&D style game with dice rolling, a choose your own destiny design & extremely well done figures this game is for you. Along with having a mixture of physical game parts such as map pieces, coins, treasure cards and more it also has an interactive app that really brings your adventure to life. 

You can pick up a copy of Destinies for $54.99 on their website or anywhere Lucky Duck Games are sold. To some this might seem like a high price for a board game but trust me it is worth it. My favorite part of the game is all of the figures it comes with, each one is a unique character that can be found throughout the game. For how small most of the figures are they are extremely detailed & well done, none of the feature's meld together so you can easily pick out who is who. You can't quite tell by looking at the photos, but some of the figures are actually smaller than the dice! 

The game is set up to have one to three players, since there are four of us, we swap out who would be on a team together to discuss what to do for the story. There are five different stories to play in this box, each one features three distinct characters with their own goals they must complete to win the game. Each player will get their own player board which allows you to track your abilities/strengths, how many dice you can roll, etc. each story will typically last 120-150 minutes. 

Using the app it will tell you how to set up the playable map for each story you'll play. It will show you exactly which map pieces need to be laid down to start off, then as you explore each section of the map it will tell you which figures, game pieces & map pieces to add to the map as you progress through the story. Each time you visit a new destination on the app's map you will move your real life figure to the same location on the map tiles to keep track of where you are, each player can only move a certain amount of map spaces/tiles so knowing where your character currently is will help you decide where to go next.


I really enjoy playing this game, everything is set up to make it easy to understand. It is always fun trying to race to see who is able to figure out how to connect the in game world places, people & clues together in order to get what you need before the other players do. There can only be one winner! Sometimes depending on where you go & what you do, you might inadvertently end up giving the other players something that they need for their quest and vice versa so be sure to pay attention when the other players are going as well. My only issue with this game? I wish it had more stories to play, with so many amazing figures and game pieces it would be wonderful to have a few more stories out of it. I think after a set amount of time of not playing this that we might forget what the characters quests were & be able to play again without remembering the last role we had & what they needed/where to go. 

Lucky Duck Games has a few other games similar to this & they also have a nice variety of other game types so there is something for everyone to enjoy. If you want to check out some other board game reviews type "board games" into the search bar or look on the right hand side of my blog for a link which will take you to all my board game reviews. 

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Lucky Duck Games for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

23 comments:

Beth said...

This looks like so much fun! I love this kind of combo of board game and RPG elements. VERY awesome!

Kelly said...

This sounds so much fun. I love a good family game, this would be great gift for families at Xmas.

Jupiter Hadley said...

I love the idea of board games with a companion app - I find them so much easier to play through ad set up. I love the art as well.

Lisa said...

I’ve been looking for a new table top game and I think I’ve found one! This looks like a lot of fun and one our family will surely enjoy :D

Tammy said...

I love old style tabletop games. When I was younger my brother and I used to be big into Risk. Looks like such a fun game to check out!

Melissa said...

This looks like a fun game that I bet my daughter would enjoy. She loves games like this one.

Maria said...

This sounds like a fun game. I love that is has an app with it. Very cool!

Mila Osman said...

I have never heard of this game, Destinies! But now, I absolutely have to try it.

Sonia Seivwright said...

Hmmm. this is giving me the Lord of the rings vibes. My mum would love this game.

Marysa said...

I hadn't heard of this game before. It sounds very interesting. I like board games like this, as it forces people to get off their devices and use their minds. I really enjoy strategy games.

mail4rosey said...

Board games are a big deal here. My kids liked them and now my grandkids do too.

Faith Stephenson said...

The idea sounds very intriguing. It is nice to play board games such as this because it forces people to step away from their devices and use their minds.

Fransic Verso said...

I haven't tried this game but looking at it, it looks fun game, and would love to try it. Thank you for sharing!

Carleenp said...

I have some friends who are big gamer players and would love this game. I'll let them know about your post.

Stephanie said...

We've played a few Lucky Duck games as well but I haven't heard of this one. I am adding it to my boys' Christmas list as it seems like one we would enjoy playing together.

rhian westbury said...

My fiance is a massive gamer, and he loves D&D so I'm sure he would love this. I'll have to see if he's heard of it before x

Chad said...

I am a huge fan of board games, they're so much fun...I can't wait to check this one out.

Lisa said...

Now this looks like a fun game to play with the family on cold winter nights! I will see if it’s available in Italy to buy.

Clarice said...

This looks interesting. Happy to know that it's worth the price and you enjoyed playing the game. Thank you for sharing your review. Will check this out.

Yeah LIfestyle said...

What a lovely review of the boardgame. We as a family love playing boardgame but not played Destinies yet. I do love the addition of the app and how this helps to help set the story of the game

Anonymous said...

I have always liked strategy board games and this one looks so interesting ๐Ÿ˜. I need to check it out for myself and then can play with my husband and niece ๐Ÿ™‚. Great review๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป.

Everything Enchanting ❤️

Lyosha said...

the game looks super fun and I personally adore the art! absolutely enchanting. I am a big fan of strategy board games, this one seems like a fine example of it. I'd love to play it with my boardgame loving friends

Lady In Read said...

this looks like such a fun game; and love the look of the board ; the dice themselves look so cool