Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Explore the Kartchner Caverns State Park Trails.


When my children were younger they enjoyed going out to explore nature with us, but they were still in the stage where they'd get tired easily, and all parents know that can result in a rather cranky child, so we didn't get out as much as we would have liked. Now that they are older and are able to walk/hike for longer periods of time without getting tired, they have become even more interested in exploring nature, seeing the world, and going on adventures. My husband and I also love being outdoors, so we've been visiting more hiking trails in our area that are kid friendly, going fishing, and camping as often as we can. Along the way we are going to share some of these adventures with you and hopefully inspire you to get out and see what your state has to offer you. We recently took a trip out of the city to visit Kartchner Caverns State Park, to explore the trails and take a tour of the cave and just enjoy some fresh air in our beautiful mountain/desert state. Kartchner Caverns is located near Benson,Arizona it is a rather easy park to reach, in total it took us about three hours to reach from Phoenix.


I am lucky enough to have the chance to work with the Arizona State Parks Department on a few social media posts, the opportunity will allow us to check out some of the parks we've never visited before. We were already planning a trip to visit the Kartcher Caverns to see the caves, so the state parks department gave us a one night cabin rental so we could enjoy a longer amount of time in the park itself. If tent or RV camping are more your style, they have spots to reserve for that as well or there is a hotel near the interstate. If you check out the rest of my blog or type "Kartchner Caverns" into the search bar located at the top of my blog, you'll find my review of the cabin we were in along with a review of the caverns.

On the day that we left Phoenix it was stormy and rained on and off all day, which made the mountains look gorgeous once we arrived at our destination. You could see the stormy clouds rolling over the mountain tops as the wind carried them away, that combined with the atmosphere of the park it created a picturesque view that made you feel like you were in a adventure movie. I actually thought it was funny because when we were in the park for some reason my brain kept thinking of the Lion King, once I got home I went to upload a photo of the park to my photography Instagram page the "add location" thought it was a photo of Australia. Waking up and stepping out onto the porch of the park cabin is quite the experience, you could hear a few birds chirping and hear a few campers packing up their gear, otherwise it was very peaceful and quiet. 



The trail heads were easy to find & access; there is a large parking lot, picnic areas and a bathroom (currently closed due to covid) along with the camp sites mentioned above. If you do need to use the bathroom before exploring the trails, there are bathrooms located near the Discovery Center when you first come into the park that are open and cleaned daily. The trails at Kartcher range from beginner to advanced and range in length from a short hike up to a almost five mile hike. Their signs and trails are easy to follow which helps make it to where you won't get lost, however if you do get a little lost need a little guidance cell service still works in the area so you'll be able to get ahold of a park ranger.


It was still raining off and on during our first day there so we didn't fully explore the trails, however we still went out to check the trails out a little to get a feel for where we wanted to hike the next day. We found that all the trails were clearly marked, and most were lined with a path made from large rocks  to help you stay on the trail. I thought it looked nice, and it is a great way to help keep the plants along the trail from getting trampled, it must have taken a decent amount of time to do. I also notice how well the park has been taken care of it was quite clean, typically when we go hiking we see some trash along the trails because people aren't always considerate when bringing trash into a park/onto a hiking trail. Thinking back I honestly can't recall seeing any trash on the trails while we were out, and we hiked back quite a way onto the trail so that in itself is very impressive and shows how much the park rangers care about the park.


On the second day we left our cabin about nine in the morning to explore the trails and the weather was perfect. It was cool without being overly chilly, there were still clouds in the sky however the rain had stopped. While the weather was lovely and the trails were beautiful, I was a little sad that the storm the day prior had seemed to scare off most of the birds and animals usually seen in the park. The park is home to sixty-three species of birds along with reptiles, deer, coatimundi and more. I was very excited to get a chance to see some of them and snap some photographs, however on this trip we only spotted a handful of birds, no other animals in sight not even a lizard. I was a little disappointed, but that just means we need to plan another trip back to check out the wild life which is exciting and something we are looking forward to. 

Can you spot the bird in the photo above? As we were getting into our car to head back to the city after our hike this little guy decided to land in the tree in front of us so I could snap so last minute photos.


The park is quite large so you won't be able to explore it as a whole in a single day, I'd recommend camping out a night or two in the park so that you can really enjoy everything it has to offer. The park offers regular tent camping, RV campsites and four cabins available for rent so there are multiple options inside of the park along with a hotel not far from the park. 

I'll be sharing some other photos over on my photography Instagram page if you want to check it out! Want to know where the park is so you can visit it? This park is located at 2980 S Hwy 90 Benson,AZ 85602 it is very easy to reach from the highway and is only a short drive away from Benson itself if you want to do some shopping or stop at a restaurant. If you would like more information on the park you can check out their website.

Disclaimer- The one night cabin rental mentioned above were provided by The Arizona State Parks Department for a review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase

40 comments:

Jody said...

Your job sounds like it is pretty awesome! I really want to explore more of Arizona soon. I just love the landscape!

Oscar said...

I've always wanted hiking and exploring areas like in your place. Hopefully one day I'm able to wander in places I wanted for so long. Stay safer if you're planning to wander again.

Fransic Verso said...

This is cool. I like that the park is large which take more time to enjoy exploring.

Monidipa said...

The place looks so great. Such great captures I must say that and your description is lovely.

bn100 said...

looks nice

bye:myself said...

This park looks amazing and makes me feel like putting on my hiking boots right away. I love hiking - also by myself - and sometimes I think 'my god, what have I done?' just afterwards....

Rochelle said...

I love hiking and just taking long walks in nature! This seems good, this pandemic has made more people appreciate things like this

Seyi said...

Nothing beats being able to spend some hiking and camping time with family, it makes bonding so magical, especially when remisnicing.

Angeline said...

Nature is one of the best things to experience with the whole family! Glad you were able to explore and did some fun activities with your kids.

Christianforemost.com said...

It's been a while since we hiked and I miss seeing amazing views like that one and just breathing in nature!!! Huhuhh

Kelly said...

I’m a big fan of the outdoors and hiking so I’d love to hike these trails. It looks like a beautiful spot to visit and unwind.

Stevenmoores said...

I love hiking in the wilderness it's always a great journey that awaits. I never been to this park it looks nice.

Leanne said...

Such a beautiful landscape . I would definitely love to visit one day . It would be a great place to go hiking .

Stephanie said...

My friend actually posted pictures on her Facebook of a recent trip up there! Looks like a lovely adventure.

Stephanie S

laura feist said...

beautiful scenery

Heather Swanson said...

love to visit

TRIPPER2365 said...

What a great place to hike while taking in nature .

Nkem said...

What a beautiful opportunity to see these amazing trails!

Travelwisesr said...

Wow this was such a lovely virtual trip. I always enjoy walking around these state parks being a nature enthusiast. The weather here with a mix of clouds and blue sky looks beautiful.

Lyosha Varezhkina said...

the scenery is the best for me. My favorite views to escape to. I want to go through these trails so much!

Erica Webster-Russell said...

As I read your posts about your park visits, I want to get on a plane and head to Arizona! I've been making notes each time I read your posts about places to visit and things to do. You've shown me so many things about Arizona that I never knew about, and I appreciate it.

Sonia Seivwright said...

Arizona sound fun. I've heard great things about Arizona. This park looks very adventurous.

Asia w said...

I would love to visit there. Its beautiful

Britt K said...

This sounds like such a fun park to visit, especially if you love exploring trails. I am happy to read that everything is well marked and organized. I've been to some parks where it's difficult to find the trail head let alone manage to stay one a designated trail to see it out to completion. So, having it properly marked is key. It will prevent people from unintentionally going off into a bush area where they aren't necessarily supposed to be, disturbing the environment there.

Wanda B said...

Beautiful, beautiful landscape! I would love to hike through those trails.

Gingersnap said...

I'll check this out if I'm ever in Arizona!

Erin N said...

Looks like a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing!

Melissa Greene said...

What a beautiful place to visit, I agree those clouds over the mountains are stunning. I will add this to my places I'd like to visit once all this covid stuff is over.

Patsy said...

Looks like an interesting area to explore!

Jessica Radford said...

Beautiful park and I agree it does look like somewhere exotic.

Klair said...

Awesome photos!

J Renee W said...

That looks like an amazing experience.

nbo said...

nice photos

lemonlaurie said...

this looks exciting to explore.

Elaine said...

This looks like a wonderful just to go by myself, relax and read a good book while in the open air!

Unknown said...

Oil love state parks. There's just so much to explore. There's always something different about each park.

Brandy said...

This looks just lovely!

Sandra D. said...

Looks like an amazing place to visit.

Jessica w said...

Looks beautiful

AEKZ2 said...

I've been there! It is amazing!