Monday, February 24, 2020

Upcoming Releases from Walker Books!



Time to share some new reads! When I was younger I used to read a TON, and I've always tried to encourage a love of reading with my kids as well and it has stuck. The three of us love working with Walker Books U.S (A division of Candlewick Press) because we get to read and review new books through out the year. This time around we received a box of chapter books, there were quite a few so they will be broken up into two or three posts, this being the first of them. All of the books are recommended for ages 7-11, for a reference for these reviews and the ages of the children reading them, my son is seven and my daughter is eleven.

Some of these books have not been released yet, we have received advanced copies to read and review. The copies we received may have incomplete artwork and the cover images may change by the time the book is released, I will make a note at the bottom of the review with the books release date.



This is a cute series about a little girl named Jasmine Green and her life/adventures. Her father is a farmer, and her mother is a veterinarian which she aspires to be as well. In each story she rescues a small baby who may not have made it on their own, the piglet was the forgotten runt of the litter and the duckling was the only survivor after it's mother and nest were attacked. Both stories make for a fun, easy and great reads about how much of a difference a little kindness can make. My daughter enjoyed both books because she is also an animal lover and would do the same as Jasmine if but in the situation. Both of these books will be released next month, and are recommended for ages 7-9.



This book focuses on two brothers named Louie & Ralphie Ratsos, along with their Big City scout group. In this book of the series the group goes out on their first camping trip with their special guide Grandpa Ratsos. Throughout the book the scouts learn that camping isn't always the easiest and that it is alright to ask for help and work together when they need it. They may have started their trip off a bit rough but it turns out to be a great weekend.

We enjoy camping as a family so my kids were able to relate to this book, and knowing what its like to learn the ropes of putting together a camp site. This seems like an interesting series to read, and my kids want to know what other adventures the Ratsos brothers go on. This book is due to be released in May of this year, the series is recommended for ages 5-8.



This book focuses on a young girl named Darleen Darling and it takes place in 1914, Darleen is a star who is working on a new film. As part of a publicity stunt her studio sets up a fake kidnapping which ends up not being a set up at all! Along with Darleen another young girl is kidnapped and both set out on a adventure to escape their captors.

Unfortunately my daughter didn't finish this one, she aid it took quite a while for things to start to pick up which made her lose interest in the book. She made it about half way through before deciding to stop reading and instead pick up another. She may give it another try in the future but for now the book seems a little lack luster, I have read books like this in the past as well that have spots that are hard to get past, but once you try again it is usually worth it. So if she decides to pick this one back up I will update this review. This book is set to release in April of this year, it is recommended for ages 8-12.

📚 Which of the four books listed above seem the most interesting to you?

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Candlewick Press for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

12 comments:

Cyndi Buchanan said...

These look like beautiful books. I miss the days of reading beautiful picture books with my kids.

Joanna said...

These look like interesting stories that will definitely entertain children. I like the first series a lot.

Candle said...

The Queen of the Screen plot is so good I can actually see it on the big screen. I may look into getting this book for my niece.

Jerri said...

These books look like a fun read.

Lorita said...

these look like all great books to add to my nephew's list!

Raksha Solopassport said...

These looks like really good reads. Looking forward to reading them.

Neil Alvin Nicerio said...

Great article. I learned a lot from what you wrote. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for the next one.

aisasami said...

These look like great books. Keep me updated when they are released because I would love use them in my classroom.

Sarah M said...

These seems interesting story books. My children would enjoy reading them.

Vasundhra Gupta said...

These are just adorable! Kids are fortunate to have such a growing collection of books to spark their imagination :)

Simmon D said...

The Ratsos brothers sounds like a good series.

Maria Blake said...

My daughter would love the Jasmine Green books.