Friday, November 13, 2015

Trash to useful again!

Sometimes in my free time I enjoy working on little craft project and wanted to share one with you that I did recently. My work had an old white board that they didn't want anymore because it had a big gash in the board along with a few chips and the markers were starting to stain the board, they were going to toss it out, but I remembered I had a can of chalk board paint at home. So I asked them if I could bring it home, once I had a day off and the weather was nice I set to work re-doing the board.





Before spraying it with the chalk board paint I made sure to use painters tape to cover the wood frame so that it would still look nice after I was finished. This was the first time I was able to use this can of chalk board paint, I've had it in my closet for a few months but couldn't find something I wanted to use it on until now. The paint was easy to use, it is used just like a can of spray paint you simple hold the can 4-6" away from the board and use a left to right motion to cover the board. I suggest using chalk board paint outside as it does have a similar scent to spray paint. I let it dry for 24 hours then I added a second coat to make sure everything was covered in the chalk board paint and let it sit for another 24 hours before I let the kids use it.



The chalk paint works wonderful and I think this small project turned out great, as you can see from the photo above my kids love it as well. I have a six year old in kindergarten who likes using this board for math and showing her little brother how to spell, and I have a two year old who is simply happy just being able to scribble all over and doodle as he pleases plus they get to play with chalk in the house so it makes them extra happy. So before you throw out that old white board that doesn't work properly anymore consider turning it into a chalk board and give it a second life!

What was the last craft you did?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

The last craft I worked on was rug hooking.

Colleen Boudreau said...

The last craft I did was spray paint my fan.