Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Let's review the board game Apiary!

 

It is time for the first board game review of the year! To kick off this year's board game reviews, I will be talking to you about a game called Apiary from Stonemaier Games. This is a game made for one to five players to enjoy over the course of sixty to ninety minutes. It is recommended for ages fourteen and older & it can be purchased for $69 currently (normally $75). This game launched back in November, so it is still fairly new to the gaming market. In this game you will play as one of twenty different factions of space bees. Yes, you read that right! This game takes place in a human-less world where honeybees are the new civilization & you'll partake in visiting new planets to gain resources with the common goal of building the hive with the greatest strength. The game pieces are well thought out & if you are someone like me who is more drawn to board games with gorgeous game pieces, you will enjoy what this game has to offer. 


For the age recommendation, I would stick pretty close to it depending on the level of board games your child has played. My ten-year-old who is quite used to jam packed games hasn't wanted to play this one with us yet, due to the number of tasks you need to learn & remember for this game. I will admit, when you look at the game & the rule book, there are a lot of different components that you'll need to learn to play this game. It does seem a little daunting at first, however once you sit down & actually play a round you will pick up everything quickly & be on your way to building the greatest hive. For our first game, set up & reading over all of the rules with everyone (while pointing it out on the board during the reading) I would say it took us about an hour and a half to two hours before we were ready to start our first game. But don't let that scare you away, this worker-placement & building game is actually quite fun. 


The game is played over the course of several different rounds where you'll be working towards collecting resources, adding tiles to your hive, bringing in new workers, exploring planets & of course racking up those sweet victory points. I like that the playing pieces are solid & aren't flimsy to the point where it feels like they won't last long. For the first game we played, I was the winner! My husband wasn't too far behind, and my daughter vowed to gain more points the next time we play. I look forward to playing this game with the two of them again. I think this game makes a great addition to our board game collection. Along with Apiary, Stonemaier Games offers a fantastic collection of board games that you should check out. 

Does this look like a game you would enjoy playing? What is your favorite aspect of this game?

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Stonemaier Games for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

26 comments:

Beth said...

This sounds like a great game for the entire family. I know everyone in mine would love it. I love the premise and the gameplay.

Susie's Reviews said...

Apiary looks like a fun game for family game night. Adam is 15 now and Morgan is 17.

Laura said...

This year we are building our board game collection. We had some great games days over the holidays but need some new additions now. This one looks very cool.

Anonymous said...

Another fun looking board game for our family game night. Thanks for the review as we are in need of something new. Stephanie

Lavanda Michelle said...

I appreciate your honesty about the learning curve and setup time, but it's awesome that the game turned out to be fun.

Sue-Tanya said...

Apiary sounds like a unique and intriguing adventure, transforming players into space bees exploring new frontiers. The concept of a human-less world and honeybees as the civilization is captivating. Excited to hear more about the gameplay and those beautifully designed game pieces. Buzzing with anticipation for this one!

Tammy said...

Sounds like a very interesting game..something my brother and I would definitely have loved when we were younger too. It's fun to see new tabletop games. I play PC games now but a good tabletop is always so nostalgic for me.

Jupiter Hadley said...

Thank you for noting the age - it looks cute enough for our 11 year old, but I think she'd get overwhelmed! Great review.

Chad said...

I am always looking for a good boardgame and have already a good collection. They're so much fun. I will check this one out. Thank you so much.

Christine Weis said...

Oh, cool! We love board games. We will definitely add this one to the list for our family game night! :)

Kelly Bolen said...

This looks like a very intricate game. I love games, but boy, I'm not sure if I would be able to wrap my brain around this one! I'm too old! LOL!

Anonymous said...

We are always on the lookout for new and fun games to add to our collection. Thanks for the honest review - looks like one we would enjoy. Stephanie

Ben said...

This sounds like an awesome game! I'm a big fan of games like this that move away from traditional pieces and dice.

LisaLisa said...

We play a lot of board games with our family and this one sounds like a lot of fun. Now, it might be a little over the littles one's heads but I'm sure it will pique the interest of the older kids.

Sonia Seivwright said...

It sounds like Apiary is a lot of fun to play! I love games that involve multiple rounds and strategic planning, and it's great to hear that the playing pieces are durable. Congratulations on winning the first game! I'm sure your family will have a blast playing it again, and it's always exciting to have a new game to add to your collection. I'll definitely check out Stonemaier Games and see what other board games they offer. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ckrusch said...

It sounds like an awesome board game! So perfect for game night!

Bryan Carey said...

Wow, so many board games out there. This one is a little pricy, but it sounds like a fun game and one that requires thinking,

Elizabeth Flores said...

We are a family that enjoys board games! thanks for the recommendation, we will have to take a look at this one for our family nights.

Marysa said...

This looks quite interesting! I love the theme, and it sounds like a nice game of strategy. I like finding ways to get the kids off their devices and doing things as a family.

Clarice said...

We love board games and this one is pretty interesting. I think the honeybees is a nice change. Will definitely check this out and I think the price is a bit fair.

Anonymous said...

Love board gamesbut this would be for my teen grandkids...from Carol Colborn!

Kat said...

Your vibe on the gameplay got me excited for game night. Thanks for the awesome tips!

Zab Zaria said...

I think this game board would be so much fun for kids to play and they would love it

Ntensibe Edgar said...

Oh yes, I would love this game. I live for arranging little board pieces together.

Fransic verso said...

This is great game, never tried it before but would be fun to try it with my partner and family.

Melissa Greene said...

The space bee theme is so cute I love the game pieces.