Friday, September 22, 2023

Let's review 'Viral' the board game!

 

My family & I recently had the chance to receive a copy of the board game Viral along with the expansion Viral: The Hive to test out for a review. In this game you will play as a virus of your choice that is trying it's best to infect a patient in order to gain victory points. Along the way you may be attacked by the other viruses trying to infect the patient as well or the immune system of the patient could kick in and boot you out as well. The game can be played with 2-5 players & is played over the course of 60-90 minutes, it is for ages 12+ and can be purchased for $39.99. This game is published by Arcane Wonders & created by Mebo. 

Getting the game set up is fairly easy, if you keep each of the players starter cards & chips separated into different baggies it will help the set up go even faster. Each game is played in six rounds, and each round will have six different steps to complete that will each have one or two different things you'll need to do. It sounds like a lot, and the first time you play there will be a decent amount to learn, however after our first game the rest have been a breeze. Game time will vary depending on how long it takes everyone to debate how they'd like to complete their two changes at playing cards each round. 

The main goal is trying to control different zones of the body & the organs that are within those zones. If you are the main "owner" of a zone you will get rewarded with the points for that zone. Each game the points for the zones will change, it is completely random so you'll never have exactly the same game as you did before. You'll really need to pre-plan your moves as you'll only have two chances at playing cards each round so if the cards do not go your way chances are you won't get any points that round. The last round we played my husband kicked the rest of our butts at this game! He made it all the way to 39 points at the end of the game, and I came in second with only 27 points and the kids were just a few points short of me. Many of the little virus characters are pretty cute. We've enjoyed seeing each new virus that pops up while playing. 

There is an easy to follow game progress track on the left hand side of the board that will guide you & let you know which step of the six you are on. You will know you are on the sixth and final round when you are down to one event card. I love how they have set up the board, it really does help provide smooth progress for the game & aside from everyone deciding which cards to use the game actually does go by pretty quickly when you are moving through the steps each round. This is a fun family game and could be played during a friends game night as well. 

The Hive - The expansion pack! This expansion adds a few more cards + player chips to the game along with leveling up your virus, it will also decrease the game from six rounds down to five. It cost $15.99 for the expansion pack, I would pick it up at the same time as the base game and once you get used to the base game you can add this expansion pack to spice things up. The box is a little small & sits on our shelf oddly so instead of keeping the expansion in this box I've decided to keep everything that goes with the expansion in a baggie that I can keep inside of the original box that way I save room on our game shelf. 

Does this seem like a game you would enjoy playing? Based off of the looks, what is your favorite part of the game?

🎲 If you love board games or are wanting to get into board games but aren't sure where to start, check out some of my other board game reviews! You might find a few you want for your collection.

Disclaimer- The product mentioned above was provided by Arcane Wonders for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

25 comments:

Beth said...

Well, this looks awesome! I love the artwork and the concept. Honestly, I'm tired of the board games I grew up with. LOL

Ben said...

This makes my nerdy heart so happy! I grew up on the old-school boardgames, but this is where I get excited. I love the mechanics and the artwork. Very awesome.

Indu said...

Reading your review it seems to be a fun game. Can be played with family and friends.

Lisa said...

Viral looks like the perfect board game to play with the family. It’s not one I’ve heard of before but I’m very keen to give it a try!

Samantha Donnelly said...

I have not heard of this game, but love the idea behind it, can seeing it being popular

Anonymous said...

This Viral board game looks so fun to play. We love board games so much. We will try this for sure!

KRYSTLE said...

What a fun game to play with the kiddos that those is some slight education about germs and how they work. On a side note, I was going to share some of your posts but I couldn't find a share bar.

Sue-Tanya said...

It's great to hear about your experience with the board game Viral and its expansion, Viral: The Hive. This review provides a concise yet informative overview of the game's concept and mechanics. The mention of player count, playing time, age suitability, and the game's price point is quite helpful for potential buyers. It's always interesting to discover new board games, and your review offers a good introduction to Viral.

Melanie Edjourian said...

Viral sounds like a really fun game for me and my daughters to play. I love the bold bright pictures and that there is an extension pack too. Well done for coming in second. Hopefully, I'll do as well when we play.

rhian westbury said...

Such lovely bright colourful graphics here. I wonder if this was created during COVID thinking about people getting ill and battling a virus. Looks like a fun game x

Celebrate Woman said...

A lot of hours of entertainment and learning. Love this game. The entire family can play.

Tammy said...

I love seeing all the different board games you guys play! I think it's so cool you still play tabletops...it's such a great form of entertainment and connecting.

Jupiter Hadley said...

I love the art on these cards! What an interesting concept for a board game - thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review of the Viral board game. My family is always on the lookout for something new for game night - this one looks like a winner! Stephanie

heather klein said...

this game looks like a blast. i never heard of it before but will check it out for family time over the holidays.

Nyxie said...

I love a good board game and this one looks like so much fun! I'll have to look into it for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Viral board game looks like a fun activity. I’m always searching for a fun new game and this looks great!

Debbie

Trisha Mishra said...

Love the illustrations and the art. I am looking for a gift and this sounds quite nice. Thanks for sharing.

Bryan Carey said...

The art and the colors are certainly nice. And the concept is not something I have seen in a board game before, so it earns points for originality.

richard Lowe said...

Looks like a great game. I would have enjoyed this as a kid.

mail4rosey said...

I think I've heard of it before. I haven't played it though. We are always down to try a new/different game out over here.

Zab Zaria said...

The Viral board game looks like so much fun to play, I would like to give it a try.

Sonia Seivwright said...

This may the perfect game to learn about how germs affect the body parts.

Kat said...

That looks really fun and interesting! It can be a really great gift.

Fransic Verso said...

This is an amazing game, you have great suggestions to try. Thank you for sharing!