Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Besh-Ba-Gowah Museum - A educational and amazing stop in Globe,AZ!

We live in beautiful Arizona and it feels like such a waste to know that there are so many unique and interesting places to explore and not go visit them! My children are at the age where they are able to hike with us for an hour or two and not get tired, and they have a growing love for adventure as well so we've been taking advantage of the lower number of tourists and limited capacity at various destinations in our home state. 


I have been working with the state parks department to visit some of the different parks in our state, and along the way we've been stopping off at other attractions. I plan on sharing many of these wonderful locations with all of you, if you are local to Arizona and need a weekend getaway or day trip you should check out some of the places we've stopped or if you are outside AZ and everything re-opens again you should stop on your next trip through our state. This post is in no way sponsored or endorsed by the park, this is a destination we decided to check out on our own and enjoyed enough to share with you.

Today I wanted to share a spot in Globe,Arizona that I found online prior to taking our trip out to Safford. The destination is called the Besh-Ba-Gowah Archaeological Park & Museum. It is the location of a prehistoric Salado masonry pueblo that sits atop of ridge overlooking the Pinal Creek, it is located on two acres of land and it is home to an actual prehistoric ruin site that has been partially re-constructed. It is closed on the weekend so we decided to see it on our way back home during the week. Finding it was quite interesting and was a mini adventure all on it's own, it is tucked away inside of the town itself so you'll drive through two small neighborhood streets to reach your destination that is tucked away next to the local community center. 

Due to covid precautions the museum currently has limited the capacity of people allowed inside of the indoor museum to allow everyone to have their space from the other visitors. There is normally a fee to visit, however it is currently being waved. When we arrived there were only three other cars, two of which were leaving so we showed up at the perfect time. The first stop was inside of the museum, everything featured in the building was excavated inside of the ruins themselves. 

The museum had dozens of arrow heads, bows, pots, jewelry beads and more that were fascinating to see. They also provided quite a bit of information on each item, had a miniature re-construction of how everything would have looked when it was first built and they offered a movie for anyone wanting to watch it. The gift shop was packed with local goodies all of which were fun and unique such as feathers with paintings on them, scorpions in magnets, local honey and more. After seeing what they had to offer inside and using the bathroom we went outside to begin exploring the ruins. 


There are no tour guides, everything is set up so you are able to explore on your own. You'll find many signs along the way describing different rooms of the pueblo and offering insight on what life was like during that time period. I've visited ruin sites before, however this one ranks as one of my favorite. The site is huge, there is a lot of space to walk around in and they incorporated some beautiful dessert life along the way.



In the back of the ruins is a large two story building, we were excited to find that you were able to enter the building. We were able to walk through the two larger rooms which lead out to the other side of the building where you'll find another path to walk along. There were several spots along the way that were perfect for taking a few photos, they even have a bench places out in front of an interesting looking cactus cluster so you can take a nice family photo. After visiting if the kids still have a lot of energy there is a small park right behind the center where the kids can run around a bit. We didn't see any close places to stop for a bite to eat so you'd have to head into the town of Globe to locate a restaurant. 



We had a lovely time when visiting Besh-Ba-Gowah, it was educational and it is always amazing to see how people lived during different times in history. I also loved that they had a number of bird feeders so you had a chance to see some of the local birds. If you are ever near the area or traveling through I recommend stopping by their facility, you can take your time or if you are in a hurry you could see everything in 30-45 minutes. 

27 comments:

Doris Jean said...

Your pictures reminded me of my trip to Pompei in Italy. I absolutely love educational trips and your pictures are a great addition to helping me visualize.

Kelly said...

I love visiting museums and this one looks really interesting. It’s nice that you can see the local birds too. Great educational experience.

A Chat With Kat said...

The museum looks fabulous and it sounds like you timed your visit really well and caught a quiet moment. I would love to visit a place like this, which is so different to everything I know.

Britt K said...

This is really interesting! I had no idea that this museum exists, however, when travel opens back up again we'll have to make a point of checking it out. We've been working on planning a Canada/US road trip, so this would be a great place to stop off along the way. Especially considering the fact that my husband and I are both fascinated by history.

Morgan Paxton said...

Wow, I love all the stone walls. They are a really great piece of history! It's a shame that we don't use the same style in our buildings anymore. Everything has become so cookie cutter. Thanks for sharing so many amazing pictures from your trip to the Besh-Ba-Gowah Museum!

Terry Poage said...

Looks like a great place to visit. I would love to see the ruins.

Erica Webster-Russell said...

I love museums, so this post was really exciting for me. I plan on traveling to Arizona either this summer or fall, so this is a perfect addition to my itinerary! I am looking forward to reading more about your stops around Arizona.

Brittany said...

This looks like a great place to visit. I will have to keep this mind if we ever travel to the area.

Gervin Khan said...

Wow! This museum looks so wonderful and stunning. Especially the miniature model, it definitely resembles the entire place and serve as a guide too.

Kimmy said...

Wow this place looks great

Unknown said...

Saving this for when we finally get to travel again!

Shayla said...

This makes me want to go there so badly. I've never been to AZ at all but I'd love to see the Besh ruins. They look fascinating.

Portia said...

I love finds like this, I'll have to remember it for when I'm in AZ.

Sonia Seivwright said...

Stunning museum. Would love to visit.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a wonderful museum.

Heather B said...

Oh my goodness! I love educational experiences like this! I didn't know about this place - thanks for sharing!

Ivan Jose said...

Oh, nice. This is something that I'd also want to explore.

Marysa said...

I have done a bit of traveling in AZ, but have not visited this place. Sounds like an interesting destination to explore.

Melissa Greene said...

I love taking my family to places like this too, it is neat they are offering to let people in for free for the time being.

Jessica Radford said...

This looks like it would be a nice place to explore on a short walk outdoors.

J Renee W said...

That looks like such an amazing site. Would love to visit one day.

Live Laugh Love said...

My son got to Visit Arizona last year with his father and his fiancé and family. I think he loved it a lot.

Harrison Rebbecca said...

Are you facing any kind of difficulty in life and want the help of a spell caster, are you facing divorce and want a reconciliation Dr.OKOLO is the right and genuine man for the job, he is really good at what he does because he also helped me to recover my husband after separation contact him on WhatsApp: +2347031895935 OR email drokolosolutioncenter@gmail.com I would advise you to contact DR OKOLO because he is the right man to help you get your problem solved.You can reach him for the following spell work: love spell,divorce spell,Forgiveness Spell Attractiveness Spell, marriage spell, death spell, lottery spell,herbal medicine for any kind of health problem

Patsy said...

Looks very mysterious!

Unknown said...

https://quickbookscustomerservicenumber.webstarts.com/

Unknown said...

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8RR2GYC

Unknown said...

https://repairmaintenancev2-19.olitt.io/