Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Arizona Renaissance Festival 2020!


If you've never been to the Arizona Renaissance Festival then you are missing out! Every year during the months of February & March a small Renaissance village off of Highway 60 in Gold Canyon, Arizona comes to life with games, music, festivities and more. Tickets are $28 per adult and $18 for children 5-12, they are open on weekends only from 10am until 6pm rain or shine.

For those who are a fan of dressing up, you are allowed to dress up for the festival and they even offer special event weekend days such as "Pirate day" and "Time Traveler's Day". We've seen a wide variety of costumes at the festival including pirates, fairies, dragons, walking trees, witches, a wolf, a cheetah, and we've even seen someone walking around with a brightly colored TV on their head. We enjoy dressing up ourselves and usually go as pirates/a elf/and a witch. The festival is very easy to reach and they have traffic handled quite nicely so you won't have to deal with too much of a traffic jam.


Can you have fun at the festival without spending a fortune? That all really depends on what all you are wanting to do at the festival, all of the shows including the jousting are free with entry ticket. In addition to the shows there are rides, games, tons of shops, lots of different foods, a petting zoo, a torture museum and more that all vary in price. You can find some cheaper souvenirs in the $4-$10 range and then you'll also find items to buy in the $200+ range, food varies as well drinks start at $2, and food starts at around $4 for a slice of pizza, there are also a few bakeries offering sweets. We've had festivals where the only thing we bought was food and then sometimes we find thing we want to pick up, this time around we each found something we wanted to purchase, the kids went on a ride and we bought lunch for the kids plus a mixed drink for my husband, in total we spent just under $200 which isn't too bad.

All of the Shoppe keeps are in costume and often speak with you in character which is a lot of fun. You won't have a chance to get bored because there is always something going on, they have several stages that have shows through out the day so there is always something to see. Need to use the bathroom? No problem, the festival has several bathroom facilities located in various areas, and yes they are actual bathrooms not port-a-pottys.


All of the rides and games at the festival are man powered! You won't find a roller coaster or a traditional carousel, instead you'll find rides like a hammock swing ride, swinging swan, and more that are all powered by the staff! Each one runs using the speed and strength of those operating the ride. If you love seeing cute animals stop by the petting zoo to see the normal and the magical! (they have a unicorn), they also have camel and pony rides towards the back where the jousting is.

The jousting is a lot of fun! There is tons of seating but it fills up rather quickly so I'd suggest grabbing a seat shortly before the tournament is set to begin. Shaded spots are very limited so I'd get there extra early to snag one of those. The staff help keep you engaged before and during the tournament and everything is easy to hear/see no matter where you are seated. The show time we attended had a clear winner (the green knight) who won the pre-games and broke two shields vs one but it was announced as a tie.


You'll do a ton of walking so wear comfortable shoes! Being in Arizona it get's quite sunny as you are aware, the spot where the Renaissance is hosted doesn't offer a lot of shade to escape the sun so you'll want to bring something to help or purchase something at the festival to help keep you shaded. My husband and son like wearing pirate hats to protect their heads from the sun, and this trip I bought a parasol to help shade my daughter and I.


We always have a lot of fun at the festival and we look forward to visiting every year, there is a ton to do so you won't be able to see it all in one go but it is worth visiting. We've been to the festival for the last three years in a row and we still haven't seen and done everything the festival has to offer! Next year we'd like to do one of their Escape rooms. We were a little bummed we didn't see our favorite Dragon this year, but other than that there isn't a lot we'd change about the festival. The main thing I'd change is just adding more shading!

💜 Have you ever attended a festival like this where you live? If not, what do you think your favorite part of a festival like this would be?

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by the Arizona Renaissance Festival for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

35 comments:

Kelly said...

The Arizona renaissance festival looks like heaps of fun. Perfect for the whole family to enjoy.

Lyosha Varezhkina said...

wow! it looks like so much fun! I do enjoy it even looking though photos

Despite Pain said...

This looks like so much fun for a family day out and it really doesn't seem too expensive.

Fatima D Torres said...

how exciting! My friend moved to Arizona about a year ago. Curious if she knows about this. Sharing with her.

Dreams Abroad said...

I did know that Arizona has such a large Renaissance Festival! I really want to check out the jousting.

John Smith said...

The only renaissance festival I've been to is the one outside Minneapolis, years ago. I liked seeing the beautiful handicrafts! And there was good food!

s said...

This is very interesting and looks an activity that I would love to do. Arizona is in our 2021 plans if all goes well and Arizona Renaissance Festival would feature for sure if we are around that time.

Smita said...

I have seen renaissance festivals on TV so many times and have always loved the idea of dressing up and having fun! Hope I'm able to see it in person some day soon, especially the jousting!

Sonia Seivwright said...

Wow, what a fun festival. I like the pub name ' Dancing Pig Pub.' very funny.

Simmon D said...

We love going out to this festival, we haven't been in a few years though.

Melanie said...

I love this!! What a fab looking festival...I bet it was so much fun x

Maria Blake said...

I've been to this and we all love it, I agree there it too much to do to pack it all into one day. I'd love to go for a whole weekend.

Britt K said...

I have been to a couple renaissance festivals up my way, but never down to Arizona. That being said, it looks like SO much fun! I may just have to make a point of making a trip down for it one year...

Ivana Mearns said...

The Pirate day sounds amazing, it must be so much fun!

Sandra Hudson said...

I totally want to visit this. I move renaissance festivals. Looks fun for families too.

Desiree said...

This looks like such a blast! I am a huge fan ofrenaissance festivals!

monica said...

I would go back to our Ren Faire without my kids. They were only interested in expensive souvenirs. I would rather go back and enjoy all the free shows as a date day with my husband.

Shayla said...

Oh my goodness, this Renaissance festival looks like it would be a blast!

Kerri @ Holly Muffin said...

This looks super fun!!

Krystal said...

I definitely want to attend a Renaissance festival - I've never been to one!

Marysa said...

This looks like a lot of fun. I have been wanting to take my kids to a Renaissance Festival and it looks like this is a good one to check out.

Luna Moon said...

It is loads of fun!

Luna Moon said...

It is a pretty popular event! Even many of our grocery stores sell tickets for the event.

Luna Moon said...

The jousting is a lot of fun, it is a unique experience because everyone joins in for cheering.booing.

Luna Moon said...

I agree, seeing all of the handmade products is a lot of fun and some of the sellers even work on things at the festival right in front of you.

Luna Moon said...

I highly recommend it if you are able to make it during your visit! There are several other beautiful sights and fun places to visit near the area as well.

Luna Moon said...

I agree, a day date at the festival with your spouse would be lovely and it saves you lots of $$$ on food, souvenirs and rides.

Adriane said...

I live in AZ but have never been. We don't live super close though so I have an excuse. Your pictures are GREAT! I've heard it's super fun. We did drive by the gates once when driving up to Pine. Now that my boys are getting older, we should check it out :)

Nancy P said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

bn100 said...

fun for families

Edye Nicole said...

my family would like this! :D

mia2009(at)comcast(dot)net

LILLIAN BROWN said...

would be so much fun to dress up for "Pirate day" and "Time Traveler's Day".

Anonymous said...

Wow I’ve never seen anything like the Arizona renaissance festival! It looks like so much fun my family would love it. Sadly we don’t live near Arizona.

J Renee W said...

Our city has the renaissance festival in November. It's a great festival!

Esme Jhonson said...

Nice blog thanks for sharing. I was searching for custom essential oil packaging boxes uk and found this amazing website they provide high quality on wholesale with free designing and free shipment in the UK.