Thursday, November 14, 2019

Gingerbread Houses at the CMOP!


The holidays are officially upon us, Thanksgiving is two weeks away and soon all of the Christmas fun will begin (that is if you haven't already started celebrating). One of my favorite holiday memories growing up was decorating cookies and making a gingerbread house at school. When I found out that the newest signature program for the holidays at the Children's Museum of Phoenix is going to be gingerbread cookie and gingerbread house decorating sessions I was very excited.


My kids and I were able to stop by the Children's Museum of Phoenix to attend an early session of the Gingerbread house program to see what it had to offer. If you and your children would like to stop by the museum and participate as well, this program officially opens up to the public on November 29th and will last until December 22nd. A Gingerbread House program cost $34.95 for members and $39.95 for non-members, it covers up to 4 people and you get one large house plus lots of candy. The Gingerbread people program is $5 per member or $6 for non-members, these programs are not included with admission to the museum so that will need to be purchased separately. The house itself is already pre-constructed so you won't need to worry about building the house itself.


When you enter into the room there will be a table set up with the main supplies you'll need along with a muffin tin. The first photo above showing the gingerbread house is everything you get in the main kit (white piping frosting, green frosting, red frosting, two gingerbread people, a door, a chimney and various candy).

What do you need a muffin tin for? They have a nice selection of different treats and candies you are able to grab to decorate your house with, the muffin tin is to hold all of your goodies. They had a pretty decent selection of treats the only thing my kids commented that they wished they were able to use was small candy canes.


The big white icing bag that is used for both decoration and getting candy to stick to the gingerbread house has two different bag tips. Before using the bag it recommends kneading the frosting for a few minutes before cutting open the tip and using the frosting, this helps warm the frosting up a bit to help is spread easier. I HIGHLY suggest following that step hahaha I did not knead it for enough time and while I was trying to help add "snow" to the roof of our gingerbread house the bag went squish and frosting started coming out the side of the bag. It made for a good laugh and we were still able to decorate the house, but having a solid bag makes your decorating job easier!


It was a lot of fun seeing the ideas the kids came up with for the gingerbread house, they each made their own idea of what a wreath looks like, my daughter made a "light rope" between to light poles and we decorated the roof with colorful Christmas lights. My kids enjoyed being able to sneak in a few pieces of candy before dinner, and over all had a great time decorating this together. When we were finished we were provided a box to take our creation home in, my daughter was pretty relieved that she didn't have to carefully hold the house the entire way home.


If you are looking to do a gingerbread house they are hosting sessions for them only on the weekends except for Friday December 20th. Gingerbread people are during the week only with the exception of Sunday December 1st. Want to make your visit to the museum extra special? On Saturday December 14th they are hosting a snow day at the museum, they will have 40 TONS of snow that you and your child can play in, plus Santa will be visiting. The best part? "Snow Much Fun Day" is included with admission into the museum.  You can learn more about the Snow Much Fun Day Here.

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Children's Museum of Phoenix for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others.My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

19 comments:

Kristy Bullard said...

This looks like so much fun! My kids love making and decorating Gingerbread Houses, and I love seeing how creative they can be.

Dad On The Edge said...

This is such a great idea and a memory that children will remember forever. We did one of these when my girls were young and oddly enough we are having a neighborhood Friendsgiving and decided to decorate gingerbread houses. So fun.

Kelly said...

Decorating gingerbread houses is a great project for kids. It’s a good way to encourage their creativity.

Lindsay Rae said...

What an awesome activity! I love decorating gingerbread houses because you can just let your imagination run wild! It provides such great memories with your children as well!

Sonia Seivwright said...

My daughter would love this. looks fun for me too.

Alexandra said...

What a really eat idea! I wish our museum would do something like that. It is rather small so I don’t know if it could take the possible crowds. But what a great way to raise money for the museum!

Judy said...

I really commend anyone who can make theses. I've had no luck even with instruction lol

Florid Forest said...

I used to love making gingerbread houses so much.

hollyshome said...

Nothing says Christmas like a gingerbread house! How much fun to make them!

Joanna said...

I have actually never made a gingerbread house before. I would love to, especially when it comes to the decorating part.

Jennifer Dawn said...

Making a Gingerbread house is such a memorable part of Christmas, you can get really elaborate and creative with them.

Mila R said...

I loved making and decorating Gingerbread Houses when I was a kid. So much fun!

Sandra D. said...

We loved making them when the kids were small then we found out my daughter is allergic to ginger.

Christopher Mitchell said...

It has been far, far too long since I made a gingerbread house. I think I need to change that!

Unknown said...

Awww they did so well! Me and my sister attempt to make a gingerbread house every Christmas.

Sofiane said...

Will be trying to make gingerbread house with my 6 year old

Nancy P said...

Very creative & like the organizing ideas.

Nikki Far said...

Such a fun thing to do with family

Adventures with Shelby said...

I didn't make any gingerbread houses this year and I missed it!!