Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Exploring Brazil with Eat2Explore



I've seen ads for several different food/cooking subscription boxes and most of them are the same, they send you some food and a recipe to try out which can get a little repetitive if you are looking for something a little more. I always try to look for fun activities to do with my family as a whole and Eat2Explore covers that along with being a food based subscription box. A one month subscription is $24.95, however you can save a little money if you opt for a six to twelve month subscription that will drop your cost a bit. If you have someone in your family that is allergic to Gluten they offer gluten free boxes.



Eat2Explore is a wonderful way to explore the world through food while connecting with your family, it allows you to experience what they call the three C's - Country, Culture & Cuisine. Each box features a different country each month and comes with three recipes (each makes 4 servings), the essential spices/sauce mixes you'll need, a shopping list for the fresh ingredients needed, educational activity/information sheets for the featured country, fun cooking tools, plus a pin/sticker/passport. Does someone from your family have a dietary restriction? They have you covered "We understand that each family has it's own unique food preferences, so we've ensured that our explorer boxes can accommodate different dietary needs. We leave the shopping for fresh ingredients up to you, allowing you to customize your eat2explore experience."



The box we received was for Brazil, all of the recipes we received looked pretty delicious and made us excited to try them out. One recipe was pork chops with sides, another was for meat filled pastries served with a watermelon/tomato salad and the last was for a shrimp dish. Thus far we've only tried out one recipe which you'll see below, the other two I am waiting on until we can get together with my mom/step-dad and make it during a family night.

I love that they provided a separate paper with all of the ingredients you need to pick up at the store, looking at the recipes online it looks like they provide a version of some of the recipes you'll receive in their boxes. For example the shrimp dish recipe we received is called "Moqueca" Online it states that it is a Brazilian recipe based on a salt water stew made various fresh fish caught off the coast however it is altered to be a "Shrimp Moqueca" which includes just shrimp to make it easier to shop for. For the Moqueca I purchased shrimp, spinach, rice, a lemon, a red bell pepper, and onion and a can of diced tomatoes. Eat2explore included the coconut milk and spices we needed.



My family got together at my mothers house to cook this with her and my step-dad so we could all try it out. The recipe states it makes four servings, however we added an extra cup of rice and it ended up feeding five adults and two children leaving us quite full. The dish was fun and easy to make! Like Eat2Explore stated all families have their own preferences when it comes to how they cook, I cooked almost everything as directed however I did make a few small changes instead of making it stew like I removed some of the liquids then mixed in the rice to make it more of a hearty dish. I also took a small portion of the dish and cooked it separate without shrimp because my daughter and mother do not like sea food.



We are big bread lovers so we served this with a roll on the side. Everyone really seemed to enjoy the dish and everyone finished their serving feeling full and satisfied after dinner. I was glad I added the extra rice because there are a ton of shrimp in this recipe and I think they would have over taken the dish a bit without the extra rice. The kids also had a lot of fun learning new facts about Brazil, and my daughter made sure to track everyone's rating/opinion on the meal in the little passport provided. I look forward to testing out the other two recipes as well once I get a chance.

Looking for a Brazilian inspired dessert to go with the recipes included in this box? My work has a small culture inspired project where we all made dishes for different countries assigned to us, for mine I made Arroz Doce which is a sweet rice. It is so good and I highly suggest trying it out, it would make a great addition to this explorer box.

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Eat2Explore for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others.My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting take on the traditional subscription service programs out there that send you everything you need. This seems to be a less expensive way to get into that prepared meal space without going broke. And you get to pick your own ingredients.

Lauren | My Favorite Job Title Is Mom said...

Eat2Explore sounds awesome! I love experiencing different cultures through their food, so this is right up my ally!

Melody said...

I've seen some of the other types of boxes you mentioned, but hadn't seen this one yet. I like that I can buy my own ingredients. I'll definitely be looking into this some more. Thank you for the review.

Ashley said...

Never heard of this subscription box! I'm curious if the food from the boxes is comparable to the food that you'd actually eat in that country!

Travelwisesr said...

I like the concept of the boxes. We do not have these subscriptions yet here in the place I stay.

Joyce Osiango said...

Never heard of this. Sounds like an easy why out, better than going to a restaurant . You get to taste different food from different country without spending too much. http://www.thecozyme.com

Lyosha Varezhkina said...

Awesome box! it sounds like a great time savior and cooking expansion! There is so much creativity and joy in just one box. also it is a good step for someone to start actually like cooking

Sharon Wu of Style Lullaby said...

ahh i need to try this! sounds like a great alternative to eating out all the time. thanks for sharing

Megan McC said...

I've heard of these. I don't think we have them yet where I live but I love the idea. I'm a terrible cook, and have a solid rotation of three dishes. It would be a great way to expand our horizons of flavor. How do you feel about the waste? I heard from a friends (that used a different company) that the box included many single-use plastics. From the pictures, this seems to have more paper envelopes? How does it rate for sustainability?

Elizabeth said...

This looks like a really good idea to save time and bring new foods to your table!

Blair Villanueva said...

This is good especially when you don't know what to cook for the day. A good surprise to friends too!

Nina Nichols said...

I have never really tried any food delivery option here in the U.S. My husband and I always go to the grocery to get everything that we need for the week. This seems so interesting!

Anonymous said...

How interesting, to promote a product through the promise of exploring a specific country and culture by indulging in their cuisine.

Erica Webster-Russell said...

This sounds interesting. I’ve always wondered if these subscription boxes are worth it. I usually prefer to go to the store and create my own recipes from there. This one sounds different though, and it might be worth a try.

The Sunny Side said...

I love the twist on this subscription box. Cooking is my thing so I have a hard time being told what I'm gonna eat tonight!

Debra Roberts said...

I have not tried this one yet! I am going to check in to it for sure. I will sign up under your link when I do it! I have bookmarked it!

Debra Roberts said...

Actually, that icon did not take me to the sign-up page.

Jack Olsen said...

This looks pretty good, I would want to try one from Italy.

Unknown said...

Amazing blog. This post is looking interesting. Thanks for sharing this with us advancetopreviewer

Stephanie LaPlante said...

I really enjoy trying different foods from around the world. This is something I would love to try.

MarksvilleandMe said...

I think this is a great way to explore and then watch a show about the area while enjoying the meal.

eat2explore said...

Hi Two Guys Who Blog - I apologize for the late response. I just saw this post! I just wanted to clarify that we are NOT another meal kit service. We are an educational food & culture explore box that uses food as the learning tool. We want you to shop for your preferred fresh ingredients using our shopping list and use our spice/sauce mixes plus all the educational materials on the culture and celebration, a fun cooking tool and collectibles and be transported to a new country. It is definitely less expensive and less waste. Please check us out at www.eat2explore.com - https://eat2explore.com.

eat2explore said...

Hi Lauren - I'm so sorry for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Thanks for understanding our mission - we want to bring food and culture to your home and make it easy for you to experience a new country in your own kitchen. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Melody - I'm so sorry for the late response. I just found out about this blog! The beauty of eat2explore is that you buy your preferred fresh ingredients. We provide you with the essential spices and sauces PLUS recipe cards, shopping list, fun educational materials, cooking tool and collectibles. We even suggest alternative protein. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Travewisesr - I'm so sorry for the late response. I just found out about this post! I'm curious about where you live. We have sent our boxes all over the US, including Hawaii and Alaska. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Stephanie - I'm sorry for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Anyway, we want to bring food and culture to your home and make it easy for you to experience a new country in your own kitchen. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Debra - I'm so sorry for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Anyway, our mission is to bring food and culture to your home and make it easy for you to experience a new country in your own kitchen. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Jack - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Our explore Italy box will give you all the spices and sauces to make Chicken Milanese, Spaghetti Meatballs and Chicken Marsala PLUS we give you fun materials to learn about Italy and their food culture, a fun cooking tool and collectibles. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Erica - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! I just wanted to clarify that we are NOT another meal kit servuce. We are an educational food & culture explore box that uses food as the learning tool. We want you to shop for your preferred fresh ingredients using our shopping list and use our spice/sauce mixes, our country specific recipes plus all the educational materials on the culture and celebration, a fun cooking tool and collectibles and be transported to a new country. It is definitely less expensive and less waste. Please check us out at www.eat2explore.com - https://eat2explore.com.

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Nina - I'm so sorry for the late response. I just found out about this blog! eat2explore is not a food delivery company. We want you go to your local grocery store to get your preferred fresh ingredients. We just make it easier to try a new cuisine by providing you with the country specific recipes with essential spices/sauces PLUS all the educational materials on the culture and celebration, a fun cooking tool and collectibles and transport you to a new country in your own kitchen. It is definitely less expensive and less waste. Please check us out at www.eat2explore.com - https://eat2explore.com.

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Megan - I'm so sorry for the late response. I just found out about this blog! First, I wanted to clarify that we can send our boxes all over the US, including Hawaii and Alaska. Since there is no perishable fresh ingredients, you can cook at your own time. We want to bring food and culture to your home and make it easy for you to experience a new country in your own kitchen. Just buy your preferred fresh ingredients and use use our spice/sauce mixes plus all the educational materials on the culture and celebration, a fun cooking tool and collectibles and be transported to a new country. It is definitely less expensive and less waste. All our dry spices are packed in insulated paper pouches and our sauces are in recyclable plastic. Please check us out at www.eat2explore.com - https://eat2explore.com.

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Ashley - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! We have 16 countries/regions and I've personally traveled to most of the countries and explored their local food. I tried to make them as authentic as possible with general fresh produce that you can get from local grocery store. We provide you with the essential spices/sauces that will transform your basic fresh ingredients into a unique cuisine. It is a fun way to try to cook, taste and discover different world cuisines and cultures. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks.

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Joyce - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! I always believe cooking at home is cheaper and healthier that eating out at a restaurant. You know you will the best quality produce than what's being served in a restaurant. We provide you with the essential spices/sauces that will transform your basic fresh ingredients into a unique cuisine. It is a fun way to try to cook, taste and discover different world cuisines and cultures in your own kitchen. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com . Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Sharon - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! I would love for you to try us! I always believe cooking at home is cheaper and healthier that eating out at a restaurant. You know you will have the best quality produce, better than what's being served in a restaurant. We provide you with the essential spices/sauces that will transform your basic fresh ingredients into a unique cuisine. It is a fun way to try to cook, taste and discover different world cuisines and cultures in your own kitchen. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com . Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

HI Lyosha - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Sounded you know exactly what we are trying to offer!! Thank you! Please try us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!!

Rowena Scherer said...

HI - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Sounded you know exactly what we are trying to offer!! Thank you! Please try us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi Blair - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! We want to make it easy and fun for you to cook, taste and discover different world cuisines and cultures in your own kitchen. Please try us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! I love that you enjoyed cooking! But sometimes it is fun to try something new. eat2explore is a great way to try something different without committing to big bottles of spices and sauces that you may not use again. We have 16 different countries/regions to offer. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!!

Rowena Scherer said...

Hi - I'm so sorry for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Anyway, our mission is to bring food and culture to your home and make it easy for you to experience a new country in your own kitchen. Please check us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!

Rowena Scherer said...

HI - I apologize for the late response. I just found out about this blog! Sounded you know exactly what we are trying to offer!! Thank you! Please try us out at https://eat2explore.com. Thanks!!