Monday, January 16, 2017

Grand Canyon/Williams KOA Campgrounds Review!

****This was not a paid post and my honest opinion was used. The opinions are solely my own and may vary from others. The products mentioned below have been provided by the Grand Canyon/Williams KOA for the review free of charge.****

When you go on vacation or on a business trip the first thing you usually think of is finding a place to stay while you are away from your home, most will look for a hotel or a motel to stay in for the night but have you ever considered a KOA camp that offers camp sites, tents and cabins for rent? During my life time I've only stay at one KAO camp site in northern New Mexico which was for a single night, four of us shared a one room cabin with no bathroom the bathroom they had was a bit of a walk and the inside of it scared the crap out of the bug-a-phoba inside me. I hadn't stayed in once since but I recently thought I would give it another try, each KAO site is individual owned and operated so they all offer different amenities and more and I am very glad we decided to give the KAO experience another chance. My family and I recently packed up for a weekend trip up to Northern Arizona to enjoy some snow festivities for the weekend and the lovely Grand Canyon/Williams KOA located at 5333 State Highway 64Williams, AZ 86046 graciously offered to sponsor us for a two day stay at their campground. It is the closest KAO campground near the Grand Canyon and also happens to be within a ten minute drive of Bearizon! We were offered one of their Deluxe cabins with bathroom, it offers a sleeping loft, a full bedroom, a smaller room with two bunk beds along with a kitchen, living room that has a pull out sofa bed and of course the bathroom in total it sleeps up to eight people. You would think it might cost an arm and a leg to rent a cabin for the night but surprisingly the estimated base rate for five adults and two children was only $135 a night, hotels in the surrounding area can cost $119 a night ($108 using a hotel website) for a single room with just two beds so for slightly more you basically get a small house all to yourself.





Walking into the front office was quite the site on it's own, driving up you could see bike rentals, a play ground, bathroom areas and a convenient store which contained the office area. Check in process was easy and the staff was extremely friendly and attentive, the convenience store was large and had a lot to browse I wanted to start looking around right away but we had a long drive up north and the kids we itching to get out of the van. We had a small two minute drive from the front office to where the cabins were, they have four various sized cabins lined up and they all looked so welcoming. Each cabin is fully furnished which includes patio furniture and chairs for the fire pit area, there is also a gas BBQ grill provided for your use. The cabin it's self was warm and cozy, they had the heat on keeping everything nice for when guests arrived. The cabin included everything you could need to make your stay as comfortable as possible, the kitchen features two coffee pots (a regular coffee pot & a K-cup machine with four provided pods), a microwave, toaster, dish washer, a full sink, two stove tops and it was already stocked with pots/pans, dishes and more. Liens are provided as well as soap/lotion in the bathroom, and under the kitchen sink we even found a dish rack/sponge/dish washer tabs and dish soap so you don't need to bring your own.





Even with five adults and two children there was still plenty of room to move around.Their website states there is only one TV in the cabin but there are actually two, there is one out in the living room and another in the master bedroom. During check in you are provide a map of the camp grounds that includes a list of channels and the Wifi info (provided free with stay), I do have to say that due to the location there wasn't a lot of channels to choose from which made me wish a DVD player was provided in the cabin for the time we did spend inside trying to stay warm. Each room had it's own small heater which really helped keep the cabin at a very comfortable temperature compared to what it was like outside. While enjoying our stay we fully enjoyed everything the cabin had to offer, we used the fire pit both nights we were there (fire wood can be purchased in their convenience store along with fire starters, camping gear and more!), we used the gas grill, and many of the dishes and dish washer. We took the kids up to play at their play ground and checked out everything they had to offer, the pool was out of commission for the season of course so that was one thing we didn't do but we took full advantage of the coffee bar they had inside the convenience store the kids loved the hot coco and we loved the Smores flavored hot coffee!! They even had a Rec Room with Pool Table, a Wii, a basket ball court and more for you to enjoy while you stay. Pets aren't allowed in the deluxe cabins but they are allowed in the smaller cabins and in the tent/RV areas, they provide a walking area and a K9 camp area for the dogs to play.





It was a quite area and even though all the cabins around us were occupied every night you weren't able to hear anyone's loud TV's, hear people going up and down the halls like you would in a hotel or have to deal with anyone being above you. Over all it was a very positive and enjoyable stay, everyone wished we could have stayed a few more days but work and school were calling us home. There was a lot to see and do just at this camp site and that didn't even include what all we did while we were up in Williams,Arizonas so I am sure I forgot to mention one or two things so if you are in the area you should book a stay and see everything they have to offer for yourself I am sure you won't regret it.


31 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a cute spot!! Our kids just love camping so we have hit a few KOAs over the years!! Thanks for the review if we are close I will hit that one as well!! :)

Stephanie LaPlante said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Love the look of the cabin.

Unknown said...

Wow this looks like a relaxing and very family friendly spot to stay, my family and I plan on visiting the Grand Canyon within the next two years so I will be looking into this a cabin experience would be a good family thing.

Unknown said...

That cabin looks very cozy and homely it looks like a great place to stay during a weekend trip.

Unknown said...

This would be a great place to stay, my family and I went to the Grand Canyon last year and I wish I knew about this then but will keep it in mind for next time.

Angela Saver said...

The cabin is adorable! Our family would love to plan a trip!!

Edye Nicole said...

This looks awesome! I have not heard of this camp before.

Maryann D. said...

KOA Campgrounds does look wonderful to visit with family. I am sure my family would enjoy.
twinkle at optonline dot net

Dana said...

Sounds peaceful! I love that little kitchen nook. My kinda place!

laurie nykaza said...

Such a cute cabin .I have never been to one but the KOA my friends have been to have been really nice they enjoyed it

LILLIAN BROWN said...

Great Cabin My family loved camping when they were young

Unknown said...

they have great places for people to stay

Ireon Williams said...

Looks so fun

Judy said...

The Grand Canyon has been one of those "Bucket List" road trips in my dreams. The cabins look so cozy!

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon, hopefully oneday!!

Maryann D. said...

I do think I would certainly enjoy visiting there with my family.
twinkle at optonline dot net

Anne-Marie T said...

We have not been on a trip like that in years. Have gotten spoiled staying in hotels, but "roughing it" and staying in a cabin again sounds like fun

Unknown said...

This looks like a fun place to visit

Paula K said...

Since we got older we stopped camping in a tent and always rent a cabin or a cottage with all the amenities. I never knew that KOA offered these also. I really just thought it was just camping and the cabins didn't have bathrooms just hard beds. So thanks for the great info. You all look like you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know about the KOA campgrounds as an option for our next getaway.

Giovanna said...

It looks beautiful!

Natalie said...

This KOA looks very nice. My family used to camp at KOAs.

Susan P. said...

We stayed in KOA cabins in Cherokee, NC right outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and we loved it. There were 2 sets of bunk beds in the front room and a queen bed in the back room so we slept 6. Not as big as the one you stayed in so we cooked on our Coleman camp stove on the front porch and over a campfire but we were near the river and had a gorgeous view.

LesleyfromWI said...

Very cute cabin! I love the rustic look

adlk said...

Camping is one of my favorite summer activities. This looks real cozy and is at a very affordable price.

Jennifer H. said...

That would be a great fun place to stay!

John H. said...

I want to go to the Grand Canyon - looks cool!

Mary Gardner said...

I would not have expected the Camp site to have so many perks! It looks like a great alternative to a hotel.

Nicole Lancaster said...

We actually go to this particular KOA campsite once a year. We love it. The staff is wonderful and the cabins are always clean and my family enjoys the nice weekend getaway.

Ireon Williams said...

LooKS like alot of fun

Rhonda said...

The fact it's dog friendly got my attention! Coffee means I'm sold on the place...lol.

Unknown said...

sounds like a great place to stay