Saturday, June 16, 2018

Father's Day Rock Star Handprint Tutorial!



Are you still looking for a gift for Father's Day? This adorable handmade gift is not only fun and easy to make but it is also quick and inexpensive. Gift shopping can sometimes be stressful if you are on a budget or unsure what to purchase, I like buying a gift but I also enjoy making something homemade for the kids to give to their dad and grandpa. I was looking for cute handmade gift ideas for father's day that would suit my father-in-law and I didn't really see any crafts I liked so I was thinking about the things he likes. He likes music and plays musical instruments so I thought why not a cute Rock Star hand print for his music room wall.

Supplies Needed:
1 Canvas - I bought mine at the Dollar Tree but Walmart and various craft stores carry them as well. 
Finger Paint/Washable Paint - Can be bought at the dollar store, Walmart or a craft store. 
Guitar Embellishment - Can be found at the craft store 
Paint Brush
Sharpie - Optional 


 Step 1:
In order to create a Rock Star or what we've been calling "Potato People", you will need to pick out a hair color and a shirt color for your Rock Star. We painted the upper half of the palm with a skin color and the lower half with the color we wanted to use as a shirt, then we only put paint on the index,middle and ring fingers to use as the hair.  The thumb and pinky will be painted later. 

Fill in any spots on the face and shirt where the palm might not have come into contact with the canvas all the way. Wait for paint to dry.


Step 2: 
Once the base paint has dried, you can paint on a headband, eyes and a mouth. I debated adding a nose but we all agreed it looks more adorable without a nose. 

Step 3:
Use the same skin color to paint the thumb and pinky finger, the thumb will be used as the arm that holds the guitar and the pinky will be used as the other arm. You can decide which direction you'd like your potato rock star to hold it's guitar and press it down in that direction. 



Step 4:
To give it a better illusion of the arm holding onto the guitar we used scissors to cut out the section where the arm goes over the guitar to hold it. Finally you can write your name, the year and anything else you'd like on the canvas using paint or a sharpie. 

The Canvas I picked up was only 6" x 8" so it is the perfect size to fit one to two hand prints, my kids are five and nine so their hands were just the right size and my step-sister is ten so it worked for her hand as well or you can fit one adult hand. If you have more than two kids I'd suggest a bigger size. Otherwise this is a great handmade gift that is fun and easy to make and it doesn't take up a lot of space.

💜 Thanks for stopping by and checking out my short tutorial for a Rock Star potato person hand print craft, I hope you enjoyed it!
 

19 comments:

JuliVAGlobal said...

Oh wow this is so creative and I would have never guessed. Such a nice gesture to do something like this.

Backpacking Series said...

That is really a cute gift idea and the best part is, it is personalised! Something to cherish for a lifetime!

Namrata Sinha said...

This look so cute and process is also very easy. When we create something with our own hands then there is a lot emotion attached to it.

ShanaBergsma said...

Super adorable and thoughtful too. Its so meaningful to take the time to put together a gift like this for your loved ones.

Unknown said...

That is so creative and cute as well !!!
Thanks for sharing !

Unknown said...

aweee...those are so many adorable tips. really creative and thanks for sharing your tips with us.

Aiai said...

awww those are cute. personalized ideas are always awesome.

Neil Alvin Nicerio said...

Wow! It's awesome. I wish my daughter would make one for me. Hahaha

The Super Mom Life said...

This is so cute. I want my kids to make these for my husband!

Aleese Hughes said...

Awh... When my daughter is older, we're totally going to do stuff like this for Father's Day!

Unknown said...

This is such a cute craft! Very clever and easy to accommplish in an afternoon. Love it!

Admin said...

It so pretty! I will be trying it now, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Omg this is so adorable, I wish I would have thought of something like this for my husband!

Kate F. Andrews said...

This is such a cute idea. Not only is it a meaningful gift, it also documents your kids as they grow!

Blair Villanueva said...

This is so cute! It is a surprise that we can make character prints using our palm prints :)

vaishali said...

This is so creative. Doing it with my 4yo..:)

Angela Hoyos said...

This is the cutest thing! Such a creative, fun and simple way to tell dad how much you love him. I will have to remember this for next year!

Anonymous said...

Woow. The way you've written this article is so amazing. Well described and all them are so easy to understand. Thanx for sharing...

Unknown said...

That's very creative. Thanks for sharing.