Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Wingspan board game Review!

Today I am going to be sharing a board game with you that is slightly older than most of the board games I tend to review, however it is one that a lot of people highly enjoy and has gone through some updates since its original release back in 2019. I was recently gifted a copy of Wingspan from Stonemaier Games and will be sharing my thoughts on the game with you. Wingspan is a card-driven building game that is suited for one to five players & is played over the course of 40-70 minutes. Along with a board game version of this game, there is also a digital version! So, if you want to save space and still want to play this game, I suggest checking that out. While card-driven games may not be everyone's cup of tea, my family & I have been enjoying playing this game and like how everything is set up for the game play. 


I generally love all animals, but I really enjoy birds! I am always excited to see a new bird species out in the wild and snap a photo of it, and I like bird watching. So, as you can imagine seeing that this game was based on birds made me pretty excited to play it and it has been a game I've had my eye on for a little while. Aside from it just being a bird based game, I was drawn to how the game looks, the images on the cards are beautiful and the little bird eggs are so colorful. We made jokes when we were playing the game that the eggs looked kind of delicious, because they look like the colorful chocolate robins' eggs you get during Easter time. All of the game pieces in this game are well made, even the card holder is extremely sturdy & feels like it is made to last. The food pieces are thick cardboard which will help prevent them from bending or tearing and the eggs are solid wood. The cards themselves are on a nice thick cardstock that is easy to shuffle & play with.


This game consists of four rounds which each have a certain amount of turns each player can run through. Each round you'll have the chance to add birds to your play may, lay eggs, earn food and gain more cards all while working on extra goals & the main goal for each round which will earn you points along the way. At the end of round four, you'll add up all of the points everyone has earned and the player with the most points wins. Once you get a basic run down of how each step in the game works it is very simple to play. If it is your first time playing & you want a little more guidance than just reading the rules they actually have a pre-set up game ready to teach you how to play. There are four guide cards that will tell you exactly which cards & food to play and will lay out your turns one by one for the first few rounds of the game, once they are completed you can continue on with that same game or set up a fresh new game to play. We did use the how to guide during our first round just to see how it worked & found it to be helpful. Now that we've played it a few times, our games can go by pretty quickly. Your main focus in the game will be building your flock on your board while completing not only your bonus goal but the main goal for each round as well. Thinking ahead to your next move or two, while keeping an eye out to make sure another player doesn't spoil the move you were going to do will greatly help you in this game. Keeping an eye on how many turns you have left will greatly benefit you as well, it is crazy how quickly the end of a round can sneak up on you. 

One of our favorite features is that this game comes with a cute bird house shaped dice tower! It fits in perfectly with the theme of the game, it works perfectly and it fits snuggly into the game box after you've finished your round of play. We did not need to fully break down the dice tower to store it which was a big plus! Another smaller detail of the game that I personally loved, is that the bottom of each bird card has a little map of the world to show you where that bird is from along with a fact about that bird. The cards also include how big their wingspans are & has a small photo that tells you what type of nest each bird builds. The stack of bird cards in this game is pretty large, we have seen maybe half or even just a quarter of the assortment of birds in this game, so I look forward to seeing more of the cards as we sit down to play more games. If this sounds like a game you would enjoy, I suggest heading over to the Stonemaier Games website to check out this game along with the rest of their board game catalogue. If you want to find more great board games like Wingspan head over to check out my Board Game Reviews section

Does this look like a game you would enjoy playing? What is your favorite aspect of this game?

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Stonemaier Games for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase

18 comments:

Beth said...

This looks like a cut game. I love the colors and how you an learn a little about birds, too.

Vanessa said...

What an adorable game! I really love the concept and the style. The eggs are super cute!

Kimberley said...

our Wingspan board game review on The Moonlit Nook offers readers a comprehensive and insightful look into this popular game. Your detailed descriptions of the gameplay mechanics, components, and overall experience provide valuable information for those considering adding Wingspan to their collection. Thanks for sharing this thorough and engaging review – it's sure to help board game enthusiasts make informed decisions about their next gaming adventure. Keep up the excellent work in providing entertaining and informative content!

Knycx Journeying said...

oh wow, I love a board game and it's a time for many holidays, gathering and many house parties. Thanks a lot for sharing this and I would love to try that with my friends some day!

richard Lowe said...

I saw this game at the local Barnes and Noble. I thought about buying it but passed. Now that I know more, maybe I pick up a copy for myself.

Anonymous said...

My first thought was that they looked like malted eggs too. Lol. we’re a game family. We’d try this

LisaLisa said...

WOW, this is so unique. We play a lot of board games in our home with the kids, and I bet this one would really interest them. This is really cool!!

Clark said...

I had always loved birds, so when I heard about Wingspan, I was eager to play it. It was a board game where you could collect and attract different species of birds to your habitats. Each bird had its own unique abilities and characteristics, and the game was full of beautiful illustrations and facts. I invited my friends over for a game night, and we had a blast learning about the avian world. Wingspan was not only fun and educational, but also a tribute to the diversity and beauty of nature.

Samantha Donnelly said...

I have not seen this game before, but as bird loveers myself and my daughter would love this game

Adriana said...

It sounds like a really fun game! Something fun for everyone too! Thanks for sharing this!

Tammy said...

Looks like such a sweet game and a lot of fun too. I think this would be a fun idea to play with my mom.

Sue-Tanya said...

I'm excited to dive into your review of Wingspan! It's always interesting to explore older board games that still captivate players' imaginations. The fact that it's undergone updates since its release in 2019 adds an extra layer of intrigue. As a card-driven building game with options for both physical and digital play, Wingspan seems like a versatile and engaging choice for game nights. Looking forward to hearing more about your thoughts and experiences with it!

Heather said...

This looks like an unusual board game. It would be great for bird and nature lovers!

mail4rosey said...

We are a game family. My granddaughter would enjoy this one, I bet.

Lavanda Michelle said...

My nephew would absolutely love this! So glad to have come across this post!!

Jennifer Prince said...

I really like games that have a bigger sense of purpose. And I love birds, too. The little eggs are so cute!

Archana Singh said...

I love board games and birds a lot. But I have not seen this game before. However, your review has motivated me to look for it to buy.

Marysa said...

I love the theme of this game. The tokens are so pretty with the variety of artwork. Sounds like a neat game, and very engaging.