Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Let's take a look at Kings Forge from TableTop Tycoon!

 

It is always exciting to receive a new board game especially when the theme fits an interest or hobby we already have. When I saw Kings Forge on the list of games Tabletop Tycoon has in their catalogue I had a feeling it was going to be a hit with my family. A little run down of the game before I get into what we thought of the game - This game is for two to four players ages 14+. Depending on the level of board games your children are used to this game will be just fine for children under the age of fourteen as well. It takes between 45-60 minutes to play, but as you get used to how the game is played & you are on a roll it will feel a lot shorter than that. It can be purchased for $50 on the Tabletop Tycoon website.

The goal of the game is of course to become the Master Forger & become favored by the King. Players will be working against each other to race to become the four to build four separate requested items to win favor with the king. It is a card & dice based game so how easy it is to build each item purely depends on the luck of the dice rolls and how well your ability is at working with what the cards are able to offer you. Prior to playing you are able to select one of their forge mascots to represent your smithy. I like using the Bat mascot shown below.


Each game will be slightly different as you'll only use a certain amount of cards each game. The game will consist of a number of rounds that will vary from game to game depending on how long it takes the first person to build four crafted items. Each round consists of three phases, the fist is basically a collection round where you'll score cards to help you with your goal of getting the correct number & color of dice need to build a item. The second phase is forging the items, this is done by making sure the number of dice & the dice color match what is on the items card. For example if a product shows three black dice + two blue dice that is what you'll need unused in your hand. If you have the correct combination of dice/color you will need to roll them & get an equal or higher number shown on each dice on the card. If you have a successful roll, you get to forge that item. Careful though, other players might have a chance to steal what you built. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened during our games. And finally the third phase is just cleaning up the dice putting them where they belong & reshuffling the cards to be placed back out. 

Some of the cards & items picked up during the collection round can change the numbers of the dice you roll during the forging phase. Having those extra boosts can be quite helpful especially later on in the game, that way you won't need to entirely depending on the luck of the roll. Otherwise the game is pretty straight forward, you will just keep completing the three phases until someone is the first (at the end of a full round) to complete four builds. We have been enjoying playing this board game & look forward to playing it more. We like the mixture of it being a card game & dice game and I love the colors they selected for the dice themselves. The dice, game cards & the board itself are all aesthetically pleasing & fit the theme of the game perfectly. Setting up the game & putting everything away at the end goes quickly since there isn't anything complicated to set up. 

Does this sound like a game you might be interested in playing? 

If you want to find more great board games like Kings Forge head over to check out my Board Game Reviews section - While you are there you'll find a review for another fantastic Tabletop Tycoon game called Everdell.

Disclaimer- The products mentioned above were provided by Tabletop Tycoon for the review free of charge no other compensation was provided. However, no product compensation will influence the outcome of any review. My honest opinions are used in all reviews, they are solely my own & they may vary from others. My reviews are posted for readers in order to provide an informed decision before purchase.

23 comments:

Beth said...

This sounds like a really fun game. It actually reminds me of some of the apps my son has shown me on his phone. I'd play it for sure!

Ben said...

This sounds like a really cool game. I love the sort of Dungeons and Dragons vibe it has going on. I have to get it.

Anonymous said...

Yea! Another awesome game for game night in my household. This one looks like one we could all gather around. p.s. love the nails!! Stephanie

Tracey Kifford said...

I love playing board games with my family. Christmas is when we play most, so I will check this game out x

Yeah Lifestyle said...

This totally sounds like the sort of game that my family would enjoy playing, especially my daughter who has played similar games with her friends.

Samantha Donnelly said...

Not heard of this game before not usually what I would play but I do know a couple of people who would totaly love this

rhian westbury said...

My husband is a massive board game fan and this sounds exactly like the kind of thing he'd love. Looks like a really fun game x

Sue-Tanya said...

Your enthusiasm for Kings Forge is contagious! It's always a joy when a board game aligns with our interests, and this one seems like a fantastic addition to family game nights. The age flexibility is a great feature, making it accessible for a broader audience, and the reasonable playtime is perfect for an engaging experience without feeling too lengthy.

Tammy said...

I've heard of this game but never played! Looks like so much fun though! What a great afternoon activity with friends and family!

Anonymous said...

You come up with the best activities and games! We love board games in my house as it seems like the only time we are able to spend together. I'm sure the family will enjoy this. Stephanie

Ave said...

Kings Forge sounds like an exciting game and I really like that it combines strategy with a bit of luck. I appreciate your detailed breakdown of the gameplay and the phases involved. Will check out your Board Game Reviews section for more recommendations.

Jupiter Hadley said...

It's neat to hear all of the ways this board game added replay value! Thank you for sharing.

Isabellita Pabalan said...

Absolutely thrilled with Kings Forge! Perfect fit for family game nights.

Ramil Hinolan said...

I appreciate how you've given a peek into the intricacies of Kings Forge, making it accessible for both seasoned gamers and newbies like me.

Melanie Edjourian said...

This sounds like a really lovely game to play on a games nights with family and friends. Love the colourful dice and your nails. Those are awesome x

Anonymous said...

My nephew is a board game fanatic. He’s gonna love this one

Lavanda Michelle said...

Your tips on selecting forge mascots, navigating the phases, and the overall aesthetics of the game provide a great overview.

Anonymous said...

Boardgames are our favourite way to spend time with family especially during holidays. This one is an interesting option to try.
Shilpa Bindlish

melissa cushing said...

Looks like a wonderful game for the entire family and will have to check it out. It will make the perfect gift for someone special on my gift giving list.

Jennifer Prince said...

Ooh! This sounds like a fun game. Your nails are fun, too!

khoingn | The Broad Life said...

This is the first time I know about this board game but looks like it's great to play. Thanks for introducing!

Ntensibe Edgar said...

Hhhhmmmm...I think I would like this game. It's a very unique one since I haven't seen it before. I wanna give it a try.

Fransic Verso said...

Interesting game, love playing this type of game with my family and friends. Also, the nails look pretty haha.