Friday, June 4, 2021

May Boxycharm Review!

My birthday was last month so as a birthday present to myself I decided to test out a month of Boxycharm to see what their makeup boxes were like. I thought I would share my thoughts on it with all of you who have thought about getting a month (or longer) but aren't sure if you'd like it or not. 

Overall I am going to give this box a 3.5/5 Stars. Unlike other makeup mystery boxes you aren't able to fill out a personalized profile with things like your skin type, preferences, etc so the products you get might end up not working for your skin type, there was also a small issue with one of the products which will be noted below.



Eloise Beauty "The Queen" eye shadow palette:  The retail value of this palette varies, they have it listed on their website for $54 but you can often find it on sale for $29 or less. This palette was the new member gift for signing up for Boxycharm and is actually one of the reasons why I decided to test out the box because I love the bright colors of this palette. I've only used a few of the shades so far, but the colors I've tried have a lot of pigment and very little fall out both on the palette on application. 

KAB Cosmetics "Day+Night eye shadow palette":  This palette has a retail value of $52. The colors inside look gorgeous in person, there are a lot of great shimmery shades. However this palette has a horrible chemical smell to it, I popped by the Boxycharm subreddit and read that many subscribers experienced the same issue, some having a harsher smell than what the palette I received smelled like. Airing the palette out for a day or two helped a little but it still smells off so I won't be using this palette. I am happy I received the bonus queen palette since this one was a flop.

Mellow Cosmetics Lip gloss in "St Tropez": The retail value of this is $18. I really like the color of this, it is a good nude that still helps add a little extra color to your makeup look. The lip gloss applies evenly and smoothly, it feels slightly sticky at first but it gets a little better after rubbing your lips together a bit. I will end up using this from time to time, but I have a lot of similar shades that all look almost exactly alike, although it couldn't hurt to have an extra!

Skin Inc "My Daily Dose of Uplift": Retail value $65. Just the look of this product alone looks so neat! This is a clear serum that has little green, orange and purple bubbles floating around the inside. It is fun to turn and see all the bubbles moving around inside, it kind of made me feel like a bit looking at one of those multicolor oil toys. I have not opened this yet, simply because I already have a several skincare products open that I need to use first, though I am looking forward to trying this out.


Murad "City Skin Overnight Detox Moisturizer": Retail value $74. As with the product above this hasn't been opened yet, until I use some of the other skincare and moisturizer products I already have open. One of the products I already have in rotation is a Murad moisturizer that is also a sunscreen, I like how it makes my skin feel and it seems to work well so I am looking forward to testing this out as well because I am sure it is just as great. 


Ciate London "Shadow Flip": Retail Value $20. This is a multi-chromatic shifting liquid eye shadow, when applies with the wand it comes with or with a regular brush it is a little chunky. I found it was best to apply one layer and blend it out a little then add a second coat to build the color while getting rid of any little clumps it may leave behind. It looks likely when applied it doesn't really have the same color shift as it does in the bottle, it looks more gold/grey depending on the lighting. The bottle is a nice size and I like the applicator wand it comes with.

So in total the retail value of this box was $283 which is a steal for the $25 it cost for the subscription box. Can you get these items for cheaper than their retail price? Yes, you just have to look for sales and stores like TJ Maxx that often have beauty products for a fraction of the price. However if you don't want to go searching for sales and want to find some new products you might not have thought about trying this is a worth while subscription. I was happy about four out of the five base products which is pretty good since I've received subscription boxes in the past where only one or two items work for me. 

Some subscription boxes can make it a real pain in the butt if you want to cancel your subscription and make you jump through hoops to cancel it, this isn't one of those companies. I had only wanted to test out one month for now so after I received my May box I canceled my subscription and it took less than three minutes to do.  

Want to see other subscription boxes that range from plants to makeup and even horror themed items? Use the search bar on my blog to search for "Subscription boxes" to see some other pretty awesome boxes.

6 comments:

Terry Poage said...

The eye shadow palette is pretty.

Sandra D. said...

Wow bright colours.

Shirley OFlynn said...

Nice selection of cosmetics. I really like the Mellow Cosmetics Lip gloss in "St Tropez".

Maryann D. said...

All of these products are wonderful. The colors in this Eloise Beauty "The Queen" eye shadow palette are fantastic!
twinkle at optonline dot net

Julie Barrett said...

That eyeshadow palette and ciate London shadow flip are gorgeous! I've always wanted to try boxycharm! I love seeing what is inside each box! 😍

Melissa Greene said...

That palette is nice it looks like a decent assortment of products.