Monday, January 8, 2018

Candlewick Press Book Review!

**This was not a paid post. My honest opinions were used, they are solely my own & they may vary from others.The products mentioned below have been provided by Candlewick Press for the review free of charge.**



Even though I may not have as much time to read as I used to, I am still a huge bookworm at heart so I always love finding new books my kids will enjoy reading and it is a bigger bonus if it is a book we can enjoy together. Candlewick Press offers dozens of books that are great for all ages and I have a few of them to share with you here! The first is a classic and one that my husband and I both loved when we were kids.

Where’s Waldo? Destination: Everywhere! Retail: $19.99




This Where's Waldo book features twelve classic scenes like you've never seen them. The book celebrates thirty years of Where's Waldo so the creative team behind the book has taken Waldo on a trip to re-visit his most amazing adventures but with added games and searches. My favorite thing about this book is that I only recognize one maybe two of the scenes otherwise a lot of the scenes pictured are new for me as well which means I get to have fun looking for Waldo too while thinking about summers at my grandma's looking through Where's Waldo books. I also like that the cover of this book is part fabric and has "Where's Waldo" imprinted into the cover.  This book says it is great for ages 5-9 but it is really great for any age because it is always fun trying to look for the hidden images and just at the images in general, it is even better if you are trying to race someone to see who can spot Waldo first.  

La La La: A Story of Hope (Trailer) Retail: $17.99 





This book is not really a book that you read, there is only a single word written numerous times through out the pages which is "La" otherwise this book leaves your mind to create the story. The description of this book as stated on the inside dust sleeve is as follows: "La La La . . . La A little girl stands alone and sings, but there's no response. Gathering her courage and her curiosity, she skips out into the world, calling to the trees and the pond and the reeds - but will anyone sing back? Dejected, she falls asleep, only to be awakened by an amazing sound . . . . She has been heard. At Last.

Conveyed nearly wordlessly through two-time Newberry Medalist Kate DiCamillo's simple narrative and Jamie Kim's extraordinary, transcendent images, this luminous story is a gentle reminder of how powerful we can be when we dare to reach out to one another."

This book has beautiful imaginary and colors which help set the mood for the book and story line. This book is recommended for children ages 4-8 years old.

Norse Myths: Tales of Odin, Thor and Loki Retail: $27.99




This is another book in the three that I was excited about even before it arrived because I've always been interested in learning more about Norse Myths along with Greek mythology so this was right up my alley and something I thought the kids would eventually enjoy as well. This is a pretty thick book offering 240 pages full of myths, tales and images of everything relating to Norse Myths. The imagery shown is far from the well known lovable Avengers Thor & Loki most people are used to, instead the imagery is darker and gives you the feel of how you might picture them if you were being told these tails and myths as if learning of the characters for the very first time. Some of the images are a little creepy but it adds to the mystery and charm of the book. The back of the book also includes a Glossary which goes over many of the characters, places, etc. This book is recommenced for ages 10 & up.


3 comments:

Tammy said...

Thank you very much. My daughter, Marcia LOVES things like the "Norse Myths: Tales of Odin, Thor and Loki" book you mentioned. I think maybe I'll get this for her birthday. I'm sure she will LOVE-LOVE-LOVE it!

Debbie P said...

These are some really good books!

april monty said...

My grands would adore these books, great when they like what they're reading